Nohup question

Post by Sta » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:31:15

Ok maybe this is not the right group to ask, but i have this problem, i have
a Unix account, and the other day i was experimenting with nohup, i made a
program to test it, and now i cannot stop it, any ideas?

Nohup question

Post by RSmith65 » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 08:51:41

Since you're the owner of the process, you can kill it, you just need the PID
(process id) of it.

First, to find out the PID, do:
ps -ef | grep YOUR_PROGRAM_NAME

Usually, but not always, (man ps  will tell you), the second column has the
PID.

Then you can:
kill -TERM <PID>

That should do it, if not:
kill -9 <PID>

Roger

Nohup question

Post by Barry Kimelma » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:34:12

[This followup was posted to comp.unix.programmer]

says...

Quote:> Ok maybe this is not the right group to ask, but i have this problem, i have
> a Unix account, and the other day i was experimenting with nohup, i made a
> program to test it, and now i cannot stop it, any ideas?

You can find all the processes "owned" by a specific user by using the "-
u" option of the ps command as follows :
    ps -f -u fred    #  show all the processes owned by fred

Once you use this command to find your own processes you can kill it by
using the kill command as follows :
    kill -9 process_id

The "-9" causes a signal to be sent to the process that can't be caught
or ignored, therefor the process should die.

--
---------

Barry Kimelman
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Nohup question

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 04:07:34

in comp.unix.programmer i read:

Quote:>Once you use this command to find your own processes you can kill it by
>using the kill command as follows :
>    kill -9 process_id

>The "-9" causes a signal to be sent to the process that can't be caught
>or ignored, therefor the process should die.

hence should only be used as a last resort.

Nohup question

Post by Sta » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:48:14

   Thank you all for the answers. Thr problem was i could not find the
correct option to show all running processes, other than the ones that are
run from my terminal, anyway...solved it.

1. nohup question

I wish to use nohup to generate a numerical database. So nohup is the
choice. Like this:
        nohup myprogram > nohup.out 2>&1 &
When I logout and login again to check, myprogram is not running
there.

Any one had similiar experience? It seems that nohup is not working as
intended.

Jinsong Zhao

2. Which video card better supported in Linux?

3. Nohup Question

4. help: dumb terminal

5. Nohup question

6. Mwave card