Debugger help

Post by Brian Sherwo » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 04:49:43

Hello all.

        I am working on a DEC 5000/125 running ULTRIX 4.4 and have a couple
of questions about de*s.  I have gdb/xxgdb, dbx/xdbx, ups, and dxdb

1) Can someone tell me where to get adb for ULTRIX, or a de* that I can
   use to look at the kernel.  I am trying to do something like
   adb -k /vmunix /dev/kmem

2) How can I run a de* on a process started by inetd, or on a process
   that was exced by another process. (I want to change /bin/login to do
   some additional logging.  It works fine except when execed from rlogind.
   How can I debug this? (besides printf)

                                Thanks for any hints/suggestions

                                                Brian

East Stroudsburg University          Phone:   717-424-3299
East Stroudsburg PA 18301

1. Problem while using the debugger - Help

Howdy netters,

While debugging, when I step through a program, the debugger takes
me to a no-man's land on library function calls. For example, suppose
I am about to execute this line

10.   InFile = fopen("temp.dat", "w");

When I enter "step", instead of going to line 11, the debugger takes me
to a line which says

0x23456   __DTOR_END__

On the next step, my program receives a signal 11 (segmentation), and
crashes.

Things work fine if I use a combination of "break points" and "continues",
and just not use "step" at all.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is and how can I correct it?
Is it that the files containing code for library functions (fopen, etc)
have been compiled with partial debugging info in them?

The machine is a spark station running Solaris. I use gcc/gdb for my
purpose.

Thank you for your help.

Pradeep

2. Hp82xxx external cd writer!

3. Threaded-Debugger - Help please!!

4. AIX and X-Windows

5. Which debugger is window debugger?

6. test

7. Problems with Proworks Debugger(dbx) Help!! Help!!

8. IDT Winchip?

9. Help. I need a decent debugger.

10. Help with C++ Debuggers - need to load huge shared libraries

11. Help with Proworks 2.0 debugger on Solaris 2.1

12. Require help in writing a debugger

13. HELP:X window C debugger in Solaris(SunOS 5.3)