FTP server, how to restrict access to one specific directory

FTP server, how to restrict access to one specific directory

Post by Louis Banen » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 19:28:25

Hi,

We have AIX 4.3.3 running with the standard ftp deamon. We want to give
particular users access to only specific directories and not to be able to
access other directories. I cannot use annonymous user because than anyone
can access the site.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Louis Banens

FTP server, how to restrict access to one specific directory

Post by Joe Durusa » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:32:23

        You can use the same type of setup that anonmyous uses, just set it
up for individual users.  I have been told that another way is to use
wu-ftpd, which has some capability like this.  Never tried it myself,
so you might look at it and see if it helps.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Christer Pal » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:25:42

>         You can use the same type of setup that anonmyous uses, just set it
> up for individual users.  I have been told that another way is to use
> wu-ftpd, which has some capability like this.  Never tried it myself,
> so you might look at it and see if it helps.

Unfortunately, you cannot set up per-user "chrooted" FTP for any other
user than 'ftp'/'anonymous' using the standard FTP daemon - the stuff
for 'anonymous' is hard-coded and is not configurable.

You need to use another FTP daemon, wu-ftpd can do this along with my
personal favourite ProFTPD (http://www.proftpd.org/).

  palm.vcf
< 1K Download

1. How to restrict ftp and telnet only from one specific machine?

Hi all:

  I have inetd running and have ftp and telnet uncommented in
/etc/inetd.conf. I have home LAN with WinME the gateway to internet
configured as:
internet<--56k-->WinME<--ether-->FreeBSD4.4

  Would it be possible to allow ftp only from my WinME (192.168.0.1)
so that an evil cracker from hives.of.evil.cracker.org won't be able
to connect to my FreeBSD box?

  Thanks for all enlightenments.

vector sigma

2. Linux SCSI Programming HOWTO (part 2/2)

3. Restrict ftp users to a specific directory

4. How does SMP scale??

5. how do you restrict a user's access to just one directory?

6. FastEthernet ndd parameters

7. Emacs -> edit-tab-stops ... for good

8. Restricting ftp directory access on a per user basis

9. ftp w/restricted directory access?

10. Restricting User Access to Directories on FTP

11. restricting ftp directory access

12. how do I restrict user's FTP access to certain directory only