CPIO problems

Post by Sally Woolric » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I have date backup from UNIX sys V to tape using commands

>        find / -print | cpio -oucvdB > /dev/rmt0   (SVR 4)
>    or
>        find / -print | cpio -oucvdB > /dev/ctape  (on UNIXWARE 2.0)

> I am trying to restore the tape on SUN OS 4.1.3 using command

>        cpio -itB < /dev/rst0 or (/dev/rst8)   Check for the contents of tape.
>        cpio -it  < /dev/rst0 or (/dev/rst8)

> Both commands give me the error:
>        cpio : this is not a cpio file: bad  magic number.

Try using the '-Hodc' in the backup command.  'man cpio' will
explain it.

If this fails read a tape made with '-Hodc' using 'dd' and check to
see what type of file the Sun thinks you have fed it!

Sally Woolrich                    |          This mail contains my personal

1. cpio problem

All,

I have come across a strange problem. The cpio utility is used to
archive data to tapes. This usually worked well until recently. Now,
every time the process starts writing to the third tape I get an error
'cpio: cannot open "/dev/rmt/0cn", errno 16, device busy'. Please note
that there are files with sizes greater than 8 GB to be archived. I have
been told that the '-H odc' option would overcome the limitation of cpio
with files greater than 8 GB. I also have been told that the '-c' & '-H
odc' options are mutually exclusive and should not be used together. I
notice however that I get no error even though that may be so. Any
comment on this?

The command used is shown below.

cat ${BKUPF} | cpio -ocvB -H odc -O ${BKDEV} -M "Insert Tape %d and
Press
[ENTER]"

The variable ${BKUPF} expands to a fully qualified filename containing
the
list of files to be backed up.  And ${BKDEV} expands to /dev/rmt/0cn.

Thanks.

2. Please help - Boot problems

3. CPIO problems

4. Where has the "Autodetect RAID partitions" option in the 2.3.x kernels gone?

5. cpio problems

6. NFS client hangs

7. hpux cpio problem

8. CDROM on Ultra 60

9. CPIO problem

10. cpio problems

11. cpio problem

12. GNU CPIO problems

13. Restoring the root fs with cpio problem