shared library and setuid process

Post by Sanjoy Mish » Sat, 19 Dec 1992 23:42:52

Is there a machine independent way of linking a shared library to make
a setuid process. LD_LIBRARY_PATH fails if the process is setuid and is
owned by root.

-sanjay

Post by Wietse Vene » Mon, 21 Dec 1992 07:02:53

>Is there a machine independent way of linking a shared library to make
>a setuid process. LD_LIBRARY_PATH fails if the process is setuid and is
>owned by root.

Owner does not matter; the point is that LD_xxx variables are ignored
when as the effective uid differs from the real uid.

Running a set-uid program causes the effective uid of the process to be
set to the owner of the executable. The real uid remains unchanged.

You do not want LD_xxx variables to be honoured, because that makes
all programs run by your set-uid program vulnerable to trojan horses.

        Wietse

1. mysterious shared library problem (setuid problem?)

This problem just gets stranger and stranger.  I discovered that my xterm
programs (nxterm and xterm) were setuid root (why are they setuid root, by the
way?  It seems to be standard with the package, but I can't imagine why.)  Once
I get rid of the setuid root bit, the work fine.  But other programs that are
run using setuid seem to have the same problem.  In particular, if I run a
program through at, it barfs for lack of libraries.  Similarly if my httpd
daemon tries to run a cgi script.

Any ideas?
TIA,
Yaron

--
/- Yaron M. Minsky --------------------------------------------\
    H: (315) 423-9907                        O: (607) 255-4934

2. How do I make an Ygdrasil boot floppy?

3. shared libraries and setuid programs

4. replacing variables within a shell-script

5. setuid programs and shared library problems

6. pppd problem,too.

8. WYSIWYG HTML Editor For Linux?

9. Will strip(debug shared library) == nodebug shared library ?

10. Help with building shared libraries with dependencies on other shared libraries

11. Question: Inclusion of shared libraries during linking of shared libraries

12. Shared library loading shared library.

13. Need a Shared Library Guru: beyond simple shared library question