Need DOS port of UNIX "dd" command.

Post by m.. » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        Our company recently received notice that one of our major clients was
requesting that from know on, all the files we sent to them were to be
written on 8mm tape using the "dd" command.  This is fine for them
since they are working in a UNIX environment, but presents a
significant problem to us DOS based lowlifes.  Does anyone know of a
DOS port of this command to write to an EXABYTE drive.  If not,  does
anyone know where I could find source code to this command so I could
port it on my own.

                                        Thanks in advance,

                                                Mark

Post by Tye McQue » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

)       Our company recently received notice that one of our major clients was
) requesting that from know on, all the files we sent to them were to be
) written on 8mm tape using the "dd" command.  This is fine for them
) since they are working in a UNIX environment, but presents a
) significant problem to us DOS based lowlifes.  Does anyone know of a
) DOS port of this command to write to an EXABYTE drive.  If not,  does
) anyone know where I could find source code to this command so I could
) port it on my own.

The "dd" command mostly just sets the block size (AKA record size)
used to write to the tape.  Under DOS, a "dd" command wouldn't make
much sense.  Some options to "dd" also allow certain translations
like ASCII to/from EBCDIC, swap bytes within words, etc.

Did they have a particular command line for "dd" that you are
supposed to use?  Post it here and I'll tell you what format you
have to write to the tape in.

If they didn't have a particular set of command-line arguments
to use with "dd" then I would have to assume that _they_ really
didn't know what they were talking about.  Probably someone with
a bit of knowledge mentioned just "dd"ing to/from the 8mm tape
and some manager wrote a memo demanding that all tapes be written
with "dd" so they'd be able to read them.  Writing a tape with
"dd" does _not_ mean you need "dd" to read the tape.  Reading
a tape with "dd" will almost always work just great no matter
how the tape was written (the only common exception being that
reading a tape containing large blocks using dd set to use a
small block size will result in data being skipped).

Perhaps you should just post the whole memo so we can tell you
what it really means.
--

             Nothing is obvious unless you are overlooking something

1. Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

I want to rebuild the kernel with a new tape device, but current "unix"
boots to a panic, so I must boot from unix.old....When I rebuild, I want
to be able to boot from a backup "unix" kernel in case new rebuild fails
for some reason......Any help is greatly appreciated.  /stand is mounted
as protected (no read or write).

Thanks
=jwn=

2. Password not showing.

4. NETWORKS, and route command

5. FTP problems "Illegal PORT command" and "Illegal seek"

6. Performa 6400 Kernel Problem

7. "write" "to" "flon" commands

8. unix commands "ls" and "file" together?

9. "weof" operation in "mt" command gives "permission denied"

11. ". / command" instead of "command" ???

12. HELP: "TOP" Command and "SZ" command