Unix commands and libraries source code!

Unix commands and libraries source code!

Post by S.R.SriRa » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have 2 question on which i need some inputs.

Does anybody have experience developing commands and libraries for
Unix(Older releases)? What kind of task and responsibilites does it
involve and should one expect in such a role?

Is there any place or site where i can  find the C source code for the
common unix commands.? I tried the /usr/src directory on my system
but that  returns only header files(only *.h files)  after going down a
few sub directories and the /bin and /sbin directories have only the
executables  and some shell scripts.

I am on a SunSparc station with  Solaris2.5.1.
I am not the superuser.
All useful  input appreciated.

TIA
Sriram

Unix commands and libraries source code!

Post by Ramakrishna Reddy Kandul » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Solaris is commercial and they don't give source code for unix commands
and libraries.

Try Linux instead. You can get the source code for all unix commands,
libraries, compilers etc ...
Just grab the source code for RedHat Linux or Slackware Linux or some
other distribution ...

You don't need to really develop them again :)

Regards,
ramky.

Post by G. Sumner Haye » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have 2 question on which i need some inputs.

> Is there any place or site where i can  find the C source code for the
> common unix commands.? I tried the /usr/src directory on my system
> but that  returns only header files(only *.h files)  after going down
> a few sub directories and the /bin and /sbin directories have only the
> executables  and some shell scripts.

Two places to look for source for Unix-style commands:

ftp.gnu.org in /pub/gnu

The FSF's GNU utilities are there in the shell-utils and text-utils
packages -- that'll give you things like grep, cat, sed, awk, head,
tail, find, etc.  These are the GNU versions, so they'll be slightly
different from the Solaris ones -- the basic options are identical,
but the GNU versions generally have a few extra options and there may
be other minor differences.  They ought to compile and work fine on
Solaris.  Read the license -- if you develop modified versions and
distribute them, you have to freely distribute the source code.

These are what most Linux distributions use, BTW.

ftp.freebsd.org /pub

These are BSD utilities.  They may need a little tweaking to work
under Solaris.  The licensing is different from the GNU stuff.

See http://www.gnu.org and http://www.freebsd.org for info on the groups
that developed these tools.

--Sumner

1. Source code for BSD Unix commands

Hello everyone,

  This summer one of the readers of this newsgroup had posted
an anonymous FTP site where the source code for the majority
of the BSD commands (ie talk, write, telnet, etc.) were
posted.  I was wondering if someone might be able to help me
out and provide this information, for any source code.

  Thanks in advance,
    Thomas Fletcher

2. Dialin Modem problem

3. WANTED: unix source code for command 'date'

4. __Cimpl::ex_unexpected and __Crun::ex_chk_unexpected() in 'pstack core'

5. "spell" command in Unix. Source Code.

6. Possible for apache to RedirectMatch a url contain "?"

7. Source code for the du command in UNIX

8. How to install RH 5.1 kernel source code?

9. where is source code of unix command

10. Source code of common Unix command: where can you find it ?

11. anyone have the unix command"su" source code?

12. source code for Unix "split" command

13. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?