Connection issues to unix and windows??

Post by Prakash He » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:01:48

New to unix, searched a lot on net to find out how to connect from
unix to unix, unix to windows, windows to unix and windows to windows
through command line I mean scripts.

Requirement is to gather files from various locations for which I know
the ipaddress, login&password and folder to copy. Like to use scp for
unix to unix boxes, and ftp to windows boxes. Sometimes FTP service is
not enable on some of the NT boxes.

This is exactly what i am looking for....
write a script reads a file for ipaddress, login&password folder to
copy, server connectivity method and then parse it.
Once parsing is done copy these values in variables and run commands
in loop for all the entries in the file. USE through FTP and SCP for
possible machines to copy files.

Issues with this method:  No modification allowed on connecting
servers

1. sometimes ftp not enable at windows machines?
2. scp asked for password while connecting to unix boxes. I tried
copying identity file info from client machine to authorized_keys on
my server. still not working asking for password. Looks like I am
seriously missing some step here!
3. Is there is any method to connect to nt boxes to copy files without
using ftp as ftp needs to be enabled on client servers, which is not
an option.

Thanks in advance..
Prakash

Connection issues to unix and windows??

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:44:33

On 10 Jul 2003 00:01:48 -0700, Prakash Heda

> 1. sometimes ftp not enable at windows machines?
> 2. scp asked for password while connecting to unix boxes. I tried
> copying identity file info from client machine to authorized_keys on
> my server. still not working asking for password. Looks like I am
> seriously missing some step here!
> 3. Is there is any method to connect to nt boxes to copy files without
> using ftp as ftp needs to be enabled on client servers, which is not
> an option.

If samba is installed on the *ix box, use smbclient.

--
Here I am, fifty-eight, and I still don't know what I want to be when
I grow up.