Sockets...

Post by Harry McK » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

I have a special hardware card that is sending out UDP packets.  I am
monitoring the network on a SunSparc 20.

The sparc is 177.177.28.153 the card is 177.177.153.145
The card src port is 177.177.153.145.7200 and I am receiving packets at
177.177.153.255.6104-6131.  I have tried to connect to the sending and
receiving ports via a socket with no luck.  When I use etherfind
I am able to see the packets just great.  I am new to sockets and think
that part of the problem might be that none of these ports are known to
the portmapper.

Am I wrong, any suggestions?  I have browsed/read through Stevens and half
a dozen others but haven't found any solution.

thanks
-harry

Sockets...

Post by Kazimir Kylhe » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

>I have a special hardware card that is sending out UDP packets.  I am
>monitoring the network on a SunSparc 20.
>I am able to see the packets just great.  I am new to sockets and think
>that part of the problem might be that none of these ports are known to
>the portmapper.

Umm, the portmapper has to do with Sun RPC services. It isn't required
for other kinds of network programming at all.

Quote:>Am I wrong, any suggestions?  I have browsed/read through Stevens and half
>a dozen others but haven't found any solution.

BTW what do you mean by "connect"? UDP is a connectionless protocol.
--
"... nobody really knows what the Bourne shell's grammar is. Even examination
 of the source code is little help. "