Optimising syslog

Post by garfo.. » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

At the moment I am writing all of my messages to syslog so that the
system administrator can select what level of messages appear. This
involves quite a bit of processing (reading the message from the
catalog) which in most cases is wasted. Is it possible for me to query
whether the message will appear (e.g. the contents of syslog.conf or
some environment set by it) before I put the effort into reading the
message catalog?

Thanks,

Sam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Optimising syslog

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>At the moment I am writing all of my messages to syslog so that the
>system administrator can select what level of messages appear. This
>involves quite a bit of processing (reading the message from the
>catalog) which in most cases is wasted. Is it possible for me to query
>whether the message will appear (e.g. the contents of syslog.conf or
>some environment set by it) before I put the effort into reading the
>message catalog?

You could have your program read /etc/syslog.conf itself, that's about it.
Of course, there's nothing stopping the system administrator from editing
syslog.conf after your program starts up.

1. Tuning syslog/Syslog reporting/Syslog enhancement/replacements

Hello,

        I have been investigating using syslog's logging facilities. I have
currently set up our network to log to a central logging host. In my
preliminary attempts, I have set up syslog to dump everything to a single file,
which gets messy. I've sorted out the files now, and I have noticed that
certain applications such as telnetd and ftpd write to the LOG_MAIL facility.
Is there
a way to alter the logging facility that they report to, or will I have to have
modified binaries to handle this? I'm mostly concerned with our AIX machines
but we also have HPUX, Sunos/Solaris, and OSF. I could very well have it dump
all
information and sort out the data based on rules I develop using
sed/awk/perl/grep (whatever), But it would be nicer if it were done by
syslog/programs writing to syslog.

        Also, is anyone familiar with any other logging utilities? I would be grateful
for some help/advice or some pointers to where to find this information.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

2. NCR53c810 SCSI on-board a PSD-486 motherboard (saturn chipset) -> crash... ?

3. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

4. "ps" like command to get thread status

5. Syslog replay script for centralized syslog host

6. Windows on Solaris?

7. Syslog parser wanted to replace Kiwi Syslog (win32)

8. Problem Booting Linux

9. syslog.conf/syslog

10. Sending syslog messages to a remote syslog server

11. Syslog question - getting other hosts' syslog messages

12. SYSLOG and syslog.conf

13. Syslog.conf and remote syslog entries