Timestamp on files

Post by Aldy Hernand » Fri, 11 Mar 1994 01:30:09

I know this is a simple, question, but I've been looking endlessly
through manuals and haven't found the answer.

Could someone please tell me how to get the timestamp on a file.
I've done it before, but I can't remember the function call.

Please respond via e-mail.

Aldy

1. dir timestamps vs dir/file timestamps

Working on Solaris 7
something i never noticed and now am confused:
i used to think that directory modification time=modification time of
newest file under directory.
Does dir modification time only change
when files are created or removed under that directory?
There's no way to do an ls -ltr and see which directory contains the
newest files?

example:

drwxr-xr-x   3 root     sys          512 Jul 29 03:10 cron

337 joeh [sunji]:/var>cd cron
338 joeh [sunji]:/var/cron>ls -ltr
total 1024
-rw-------   1 root     bin       481504 Jul 29 03:10 olog
-rw-------   1 root     root       30756 Aug  2 11:45 log

--

access to a news server; thanks!
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

2. Module development questions

3. How to create files with a timestamp in the file name?

4. Information needed

5. How to output file's timestamp when print file in UNIX?

6. 4.1 boot from tape prob

7. rename files to include each file's timestamp

8. Suse Yast mounting trouble

9. How to output file's timestamp when print file in UNIX?

10. Find the first occurrence of a timestamp within a file

11. Compare file timestamp with a specific date in C-Shell?

12. HELP ! timestamp in log file ???????

13. modification timestamp for nfs-files