developer egos

Post by George Marc Cars » Sat, 02 Jul 1994 10:34:55

the following email reply is being forwarded to usenet as a followup

Ref-groups: comp.databases

Subject: Re: Database Design Question

Quote:>(laughlin) writes:
>Am I wrong (and thus I should keep my mouth shut)?
>or am I right?

many developers are overpaid,
at least half somewhat grandiose,
the majority egocentric and arrogant,
and VERY FEW receive criticism gracefully

...remember, it is they whose extreme thoroughness,
thoughtfulness and conscientious drive for perfection
brought you the ostensibly fabulous creation you have
had the audacity to criticize...

I was a developer for many years myself, and still am, but
now I make my living in a much more "humanitarian" position,
and my seven years doing various types of support, marketing,
teaching and customer interface (as well as dev. on the side)
have taught me my perceptions as a younger man were myopic
in general, and quite often just plain ignorant

Mr. Laughlin, you are NOT wrong, and most importantly,
being RIGHT should not be a developer's objective

--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| SMILE! George Marc Carsey                             GCAR Enterprises |

|                                                       Arlington, Texas |
| voice (817) 467-0173, metro pager (214) 344-1552                 76017 |
\------------------------------------------------------------------------/

developer egos

Quote:: >(laughlin) writes:

: >Am I wrong (and thus I should keep my mouth shut)?
: >or am I right?

: many developers are overpaid,
For this you want to crucify all developers?
Just who is arrogant here?

: at least half somewhat grandiose,
: the majority egocentric and arrogant,
: and VERY FEW receive criticism gracefully
Glad to see you are so modest.;-)

: ...remember, it is they whose extreme thoroughness,
: thoughtfulness and conscientious drive for perfection
: brought you the ostensibly fabulous creation you have
: had the audacity to criticize...
This is sort of true.  We scum sucking developers put considerable
portions of our life into some projects and do get 'involved' with
them.  I don't think that is unexpected or bad.

: I was a developer for many years myself, and still am, but
: now I make my living in a much more "humanitarian" position,
: and my seven years doing various types of support, marketing,
: teaching and customer interface (as well as dev. on the side)
: have taught me my perceptions as a younger man were myopic
: in general, and quite often just plain ignorant

: Mr. Laughlin, you are NOT wrong, and most importantly,
: being RIGHT should not be a developer's objective

I can't and won't speak for Mr. Laughlin (who in truth may be
the jerk you portray but...) I try like hell to be right and it
IS my objective.  After making my presentation to a customer I will
either accomodate the varience from the design they ask for or walk away.
If the accomodations can be made and I feel the product will succeed
and be what the customer will be happy with I build it.
If I think the accomodations are bad and the project will fail I politely
tell the customer so and walk away.

: --
: /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
: | SMILE! George Marc Carsey                             GCAR Enterprises |

: |                                                       Arlington, Texas |
: | voice (817) 467-0173, metro pager (214) 344-1552                 76017 |
: \------------------------------------------------------------------------/

| San Diego, CA                    I have no opinion, but if I did...|

developer egos

Post by Scott Fral » Sat, 09 Jul 1994 08:39:16

: : ...remember, it is they whose extreme thoroughness,
: : thoughtfulness and conscientious drive for perfection
: : brought you the ostensibly fabulous creation you have
: : had the audacity to criticize...

: This is sort of true.  We scum sucking developers put considerable
: portions of our life into some projects and do get 'involved' with
: them.  I don't think that is unexpected or bad.

And, in fact, although lots of people seem to * about the 'way
programmers/developers are', I believe that some if not most of our
'querky' traits are what make us good programmers.  I mean, you have to
be a little weird to WANT to stay up all hours for days on end to make
(in most cases) someone else lots of money.

And on the pay issue, lets not forget that there are plenty of us out
there who are not even making 'scale'. i.e. what 'most' programmers doing
the same stuff are making.

This is just MHO.
--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

\--  |   |--/ --- |   --/ |   { CI$: 71750,2173 }  tuna fish!''
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Fun with newsgroup ego trips

In the Windows world, we give and take in the newsgroups (on which I have
participated and helped out for many years) by being long-suffering and
lifting each other up and making things easier for each other, rather than
tearing each other down and ranting about netiquitte and keeping things
obscure.

I do understand that with Linux being harder to "get" than Windows, support
comes at a costlier price. But that's really the whole point .. the Linux
crowd HAS to be "gods", or else they get angry and go deliberately make up
some other obscure thing so that they can be worshipped.

Have a nice ego trip, your worshipful majesty.

Jon

2. 868-301 The parent device open failed

3. Alter-Egos

4. Snappy support?

5. Ego boost for an unemployed bum

6. From a Virtual server to a colocate

7. Developer panel for Linux developers

8. YDL 1.2 - CD Player not working

9. Win32 Developer -> Linux Developer?

10. Developer Panel for Linux Developers

11. Developer panel for Linux developers

12. kernel developer / Driver developer documentation?

13. Developer Panel for Linux developers