cc Vs acc compilers on Solaris

Post by jami » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:16:14

We have 2 compilers as part of our Sun Workshop installation acc and cc.
The documentation is quite clear on the effect of using the 4 ANSI C
compliance options Xa Xc Xt (and i've forgotten the 4th ) on the cc
compiler. But what is the effect of using them on the acc compiler?  What is
the advantage of acc over 'cc -Xc'?
Some help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

cc Vs acc compilers on Solaris

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 19:49:55

>We have 2 compilers as part of our Sun Workshop installation acc and cc.
>The documentation is quite clear on the effect of using the 4 ANSI C
>compliance options Xa Xc Xt (and i've forgotten the 4th ) on the cc
>compiler. But what is the effect of using them on the acc compiler?  What is
>the advantage of acc over 'cc -Xc'?
>Some help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

The acc manual says:

     acc (SPARC only) is not intended  to  be  used  directly  on
     Solaris.   The  sole  purpose  for  making  it  available on
     Solaris is to enable /usr/ucb/cc.  The package SUNWscpu must
     be  installed  to use this.  The options for /usr/ucb/cc are
     the same as for acc and are described here.

"acc" was the SunOS 4.x ANSI compiler.

Don't use acc.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Advantages GCC vs cc vs acc Sun 4.1.3

  What are the advantages/disadvantages to going with gcc for a large
project? My os is 4.1.3_ui and we've done most development with cc. I
have convinced people that cc is really a kernel compiler not
supported by sun. We have 1 license of acc but LINGER will not go
below 15 minutes so we'd need many license's. I am currently using gcc
on my workstation for several programs that core cc. I would really like
to convince them that gcc is the way to go (As I believe it is). Any
suggestions? Any FAQS that would help here?
     Thanks

2. POP server for ISP (various questions)

3. SunPro compilers -- cc and acc, what's the difference?

4. proftpd following symlinks

5. cc errors on Solaris 2.6 - does Solaris come with a compiler anymore?

6. HELP: man and clearing of screen display

7. 1 * vxjcLnWdi-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

8. Free Unix Shell Account Questioner

9. 1 * BgyKFFrNo-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

10. 2 * tCTtngjxY-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

11. Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

12. 1 * xuzIBiqvq-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)

13. 1 * NmepTvXvo-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)