Platform specific variable for use in #ifdefs

Platform specific variable for use in #ifdefs

Post by Ken Murchiso » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Where can I find the platform specific variable defined for any given
system (ie. SVR4, AIXV3).  I am porting code to different platforms
which will have to have platform dependencies encapsulated in #ifdefs.
I would like to use whichever unique variable is already defined on
these systems.

TIA,
Ken
--
Kenneth Murchison          Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer          21 Princeton Pl.

http://www.oceana.com      716-662-8973 x26

1. compiling c++ for specific hw platforms

Apologies for a question which might seem daft, but I am an embedded
systems assembler programmer, relatively unfamiliar with programming
in the workstation/pc environment.
I am recompiling on my Red Hat Linux pc a c++ cgi script for a web
site originally hosted by NT server.
I would assume the executable will only work on UNIX systems on I386
compatible hardware. Is this correct?
In other words, don't I have to compile a the c++ source specifically
for the processor/architecture (/Ix86/M68000/Sparc...) used by my web
site host to run Apache?

(Or is all web hosting on Ix86 compatible hardware anyway, and this is
indeed a very daft question?)

Thanks!

Pierre

2. I'm thinking of investing in SuSE again... (serious)

3. patches with OEM-specific platform ports

4. How to use InterMan on DEC Alpha?

5. Linux documentation specific on how to port to different platforms.

6. HELP LOOKING FOR PRPC'S DOC

7. driver location for platform-specific drivers

8. linux dhcp client clears NT dhcp server

9. sa_sigaction and platform specific stuff

10. Platform-specific #defined()'s (e.g. __linux__)

11. Solaris 2.4 for a SS5 (platform specific again?)

12. Platform-specific preprocessor symbols automatically defined by gcc

13. Are kernels platform-specific?