Best UNIX for PC

Post by Thaddeus L. Olcz » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sorry for the possible flame bait. I'm looking for a UNIX
that fits a very specific role.
I'm a C++ developer ( both UNIX, mostly NT now) who would like
( at some time in the not so near not so far future ) find a job
programming in C+/UNIX.
I'm diabetic, and I find working at home offers me the best
opportunities
for controling my health while at the same time allowing me to deveote
maximum hours to work.

What I'm looking for is a UNIX for the PC that is
1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.
2) Can run SMP.
3) Fairly standard ( idea is to do most work at home, then call in
copy my stuff and do fine tuning over the phone ).
4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*
like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

Any suggestions.

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Friedrich Dominicu » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> What I'm looking for is a UNIX for the PC that is
> 1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.
> 2) Can run SMP.
> 3) Fairly standard ( idea is to do most work at home, then call in
> copy my stuff and do fine tuning over the phone ).
> 4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
> gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*
> like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
> caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

Linux, FreeBSDs
1) you can buy distributions but you can download them too
2) Linux 2.2 should be good at this
3) There was a Linux-Distribution which has been POSIC-certified. But
you should find a lot of standards either on Linux or the FreeBSDs
4) GNU-Tools run on any of this platforms, And if you like you can spend
a lot of money on Sniff+; I think for a proffessional C++ programmer,
this will be one of the best choices.

Regards
Friedrich

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Andreas Rammel » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > What I'm looking for is a UNIX for the PC that is
> > 1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.
> > 2) Can run SMP.
> > 3) Fairly standard ( idea is to do most work at home, then call in
> > copy my stuff and do fine tuning over the phone ).
> > 4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
> > gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*
> > like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
> > caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

> Linux, FreeBSDs
> 1) you can buy distributions but you can download them too
> 2) Linux 2.2 should be good at this
> 3) There was a Linux-Distribution which has been POSIC-certified. But
> you should find a lot of standards either on Linux or the FreeBSDs

FYI: The posix certified Linux by Unifix GmbH is not longer available
because the company has dissolved some time ago. A friend of mine had
worked for them so I should know.

I still use their stuff because it's stable and perfectly fits my needs.

Quote:> 4) GNU-Tools run on any of this platforms, And if you like you can spend
> a lot of money on Sniff+; I think for a proffessional C++ programmer,
> this will be one of the best choices.

Regards,
Rammi
--

<http://www.veryComputer.com/;    -- homepage (uses Java applet)
Get the famous DXF Viewer Applet from:

       "Reality is a fake"

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Philip Bro » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Sorry for the possible flame bait. I'm looking for a UNIX
>that fits a very specific role.
>I'm a C++ developer ( both UNIX, mostly NT now) who would like
>( at some time in the not so near not so far future ) find a job
>programming in C+/UNIX.

decide where you want to be programming.
If you want to be programming for ISP's, etc, pick the freenixs that were
offered to you.
If you want to be programming for more traditional shops, there is no choice.
Pick Solaris x86.

However...

Quote:

>What I'm looking for is a UNIX for the PC that is
>1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.
>2) Can run SMP.
>..
>4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
>gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*
>like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code

To use the now classic phrase: "fast, cheap, good. pick two."

If you want *GOOD* tools, you're going to have to pay for them. $$$. You
should know that by now. So if you can only afford $2k for everything, that

On the other hand, if you already own a reasonable computer
(64 megs RAM, reasonably new cpu(s)) then it's not too bad.
$300 or something for solaris profesional workstation license, and
$1000 for sun's workshop 5

Somewhere around there, anyways.
and BTW: You can't beat solaris for SMP. It's the hands-down choice for that,
too.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

Best UNIX for PC

Post by David M. Co » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:08:16 GMT, Thaddeus L. Olczyk

>4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
>gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*

Does gdb not cut it because it's a command-line tool is there some
other reason?  Have you tried a front end like DDD?

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:>like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
>caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

See http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:>Any suggestions.

From a development standpoint, it seems to me that the choice is more
between tools, e.g. egcs vs a commercial C++ compiler, rather than between
different unices.

I like Linux, but I really haven't used much else.  Here's a page with links
to devel tools and info for Linux:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Here's a page with links to the various BSD unix versions:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

A good Linux page is

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Dave Cook

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Ed Finc » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> What I'm looking for is a UNIX for the PC that is
> 1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.
> 2) Can run SMP.
> 3) Fairly standard ( idea is to do most work at home, then call in
> copy my stuff and do fine tuning over the phone ).
> 4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
> gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*
> like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
> caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

There are several distributions of Linux:

Red Hat, http://www.veryComputer.com/
SuSE, http://www.veryComputer.com/
Slackware
Debian

and there's FreeBSD, http://www.veryComputer.com/

(If you choose Linux and are new to UNIX, I recommend Red Hat)

Regards,
Ed
--
   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Thaddeus L. Olcz » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.
>>2) Can run SMP.

>If you want *GOOD* tools, you're going to have to pay for them. $$$. You
>should know that by now. So if you can only afford $2k for everything, that

>On the other hand, if you already own a reasonable computer
>(64 megs RAM, reasonably new cpu(s)) then it's not too bad.
>$300 or something for solaris profesional workstation license, and
>$1000 for sun's workshop 5

>Somewhere around there, anyways.
>and BTW: You can't beat solaris for SMP. It's the hands-down choice for that,
>too.

Oops. I meant $2000 for software. I've already got $3500 planned for
PC ( it would be kind of hard to get a good dual procesor machine
qalone for $2K).

Solaris has been at the top of my list, but I can't make sense of
thier Web pages.

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Thaddeus L. Olcz » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

First I would like to thank the people
who responded to my previous post.
After reading the responses I've come to the conclusion that I've
phrased  parts of my post poorly. So I'm reposting with
clarifications.

Let me state  the overall view of what my question is:
I'm looking for a fairly good UNIX ( doesn't crash every five minutes,
doesn't crash when I do something stupid that might try to make it
crash ), which runs a SOLID C++ development enviroment.
If one UNIX runs much better then  another UNIX ( which runs
competently ), but the first version has crappy tools and
the second has good tools then I'm interested in the second, not the
first.

As for free Unices such as Linux and FreeBSD, I've had  experience
with them. I find g++ to be acceptable,  but gdb sucks. In fact front
ends to gdb may hide some of the problems, but still they can't hide
them all. Furthermore Electrice Fence doesn't cut it. (Aside from the
difficulty of trying to find what an error really is ) I've managed
to write memory bugs that fool Electrice Fence. What would be best
is some utility that fully instruments the code. gprof is OK. Now if
someone can suggest a good development enviroment that runs on a free
UNIX, then nothing would make me happier.

>Sorry for the possible flame bait. I'm looking for a UNIX
>that fits a very specific role.
>I'm a C++ developer ( both UNIX, mostly NT now) who would like
>( at some time in the not so near not so far future ) find a job
>programming in C+/UNIX.
>I'm diabetic, and I find working at home offers me the best
>opportunities
>for controling my health while at the same time allowing me to deveote
>maximum hours to work.

>What I'm looking for is a UNIX for the PC that is
>1) Cheap. I can't afford $10K for everything. Max $2K for all.

Let me clarify here. I don't yet have the PC, I'm waiting
for the end of Christmas season to buy.  That money does not go into
the cost. The $2k is for a Unix and a development enviroment
( my understanding is that sometimes compilers alone can go for $10K
that is way out of my price range).

Quote:>2) Can run SMP.

The machine I will be getting is a Dual PII/450 with 128M of RAM
and a Cheetah or Ultrastart 9ZX (SCSI)hard drive.
I want tthe UNIX to be able to user it's capabilities.

Quote:>3) Fairly standard ( idea is to do most work at home, then call in
>copy my stuff and do fine tuning over the phone ).

One thing that does bother me about g++ is the nonstandard libraries
(string and container). To me the best with regard to this would
involve little proting.

Quote:>4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
>gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*
>like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
>caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

Handled already, but I do have one question here. Several people have
suggested Sniff+ as a de*. last time I looked at it, it was
a good class browser, but had no debugging capabilites.  Have
debugging capabilites been added since then, or are theys people just
clueless?

Quote:

>Any suggestions.

Any suggestions.
TIA.

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Heiko Romah » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >Sorry for the possible flame bait. I'm looking for a UNIX
> >that fits a very specific role.
> >I'm a C++ developer ( both UNIX, mostly NT now) who would like
> >( at some time in the not so near not so far future ) find a job
> >programming in C+/UNIX.

I am working with Linux and SCO ODT5 on intel based computers, well I
find they work fine
But really, you can't say, this is the best pc-UN*X, you have to trie
and error to find your
best solution.

Greetings

Heiko
--
UNIX _ist_ benutzerfreundlich,
nur sucht es sich seine Freunde sorgfaeltig aus!

Best UNIX for PC

Post by Thaddeus L. Olcz » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:08:16 GMT, Thaddeus L. Olczyk

>>4) Offers a wide variety of development tools. A good de*, (IMO
>>gdb does not cut it), a good profiler and a memory checking de*

>Does gdb not cut it because it's a command-line tool is there some
>other reason?  Have you tried a front end like DDD?

I've not tried DDD. Basically it's gdb that I found lacking.

Quote:>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>like Boundschecker which fully instruments it's code ( so that it
>>caches stacks etc, to check for corruption),

>See http://www.veryComputer.com/

>>Any suggestions.

>From a development standpoint, it seems to me that the choice is more
>between tools, e.g. egcs vs a commercial C++ compiler, rather than between
>different unices.

Yes, that's the conclusion that  I've come to. But it's not quite that
simple. I need a good development enviroment that runs on a fair
stabe UNIX. The UNIX isn't the hard part. The enviroment is.

Best UNIX for PC

Post by James Youngma » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Let me state  the overall view of what my question is:
> I'm looking for a fairly good UNIX ( doesn't crash every five
> minutes,

I can't think of any Unix that does.

Quote:> doesn't crash when I do something stupid that might try to make it
> crash ), which runs a SOLID C++ development enviroment.

Presumably the vendors of SOLID have a list of supported platforms.

Quote:> If one UNIX runs much better then  another UNIX ( which runs
> competently ), but the first version has crappy tools and
> the second has good tools then I'm interested in the second, not the
> first.

You've made yourself fairly plain this time.

Quote:> As for free Unices such as Linux and FreeBSD, I've had  experience
> with them. I find g++ to be acceptable,  but gdb sucks. In fact front

Well, OK.  In the free de* arena there is as far as I know only
GDB and USB.  I'm not sure USB is still maintained.

Quote:> ends to gdb may hide some of the problems, but still they can't hide
> them all. Furthermore Electrice Fence doesn't cut it. (Aside from the
> difficulty of trying to find what an error really is ) I've managed
> to write memory bugs that fool Electrice Fence. What would be best

What kind of "memory bugs"?  The kind of bugs that MPR detects?

Quote:> is some utility that fully instruments the code. gprof is OK. Now if

Well, use Checker, then.

Quote:> someone can suggest a good development enviroment that runs on a free
> UNIX, then nothing would make me happier.

There are several commercial compilers that run on free Unices, from
Comeau, the Portland Group and KAI, to name just three.

I'd like to urge you to start another flamewar^Wthread on what you
find lacking in GDB.  What is it you're expecting from it that it
doesn't provide?  Realtime source display?  A Turing-complete
extension language?  Something else?  What?

--

1. Best Unix for PC's

Hello.

We are planning to install a PC as a Web server and were wondering which Unix
is best for such a task. Linux? FreeBSD? Something else?

Also, is there a program I can find on the Web to simulate a heavy load on a
WWW server (e.g. many simultaneous connections, etc.)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michel Martin

2. Installing a precompiled kernel

3. unix desktop on pc, pc desktop on unix box, free

4. Loadlin problems

5. best free Unix for PC?

6. SLRN v0.9 causing gcc internal compiler error

7. best pc based unix os

8. X terminal question

9. -=[Question: PC UNIX OS choices: What are the best choices and why?]=-

10. Best PC based unix OS?

11. Unix for PC - Which is Best?

12. Best way of sending large number of files from PC to Unix machine

13. Best PC to Unix connection