I am new to UNIX/C programming: HELP!

Post by Luis Alvare » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I would like to start programming in C/C++ in the UNIX environment, but I
don't know where to start...
I know that there exist many C libraries such as:
<sys/socket.h>
<sys/types.h>
<sys/ioctl.h>
etc...

I would very much like to use them, but I don't know whwre to find
documentation...

Any help?

Thank you,
Luis Alvarez

I am new to UNIX/C programming: HELP!

Post by somebod » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I would very much like to use them, but I don't know whwre to find
> documentation...

there are several books.  stevens is good.
on a local unix machine you can get info on a command w/ the 'man'
command

ex.
man printf

or
apropos printing
apropos print
etc..

Post by J. Ben » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I would like to start programming in C/C++ in the UNIX environment, but I
> don't know where to start...
> I know that there exist many C libraries such as:
> <sys/socket.h>
> <sys/types.h>
> <sys/ioctl.h>
> etc...

> I would very much like to use them, but I don't know whwre to find
> documentation...

> Any help?

These are not libraries.  They are standard headers.  They are all in
/usr/include/sys on most Unix systems.  You use them with the syntax:

#include <sys/socket.h>

Many of these do *accompany* and *describe* libraries, but the libraries
themselves are in /usr/lib for the most part, and you must mention them in
the command line when you run the compiler in order to use them.  See the man
page for your compiler for more details.

Post by Alasta » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I would like to start programming in C/C++ in the UNIX environment, but I
>don't know where to start...
>I know that there exist many C libraries such as:
><sys/socket.h>
><sys/types.h>
><sys/ioctl.h>
>etc...

>I would very much like to use them, but I don't know whwre to find
>documentation...

Buy a unix programming book. A good one is ;

Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment
W. Richard Stevens
isbn: 0-201-56317-7

A bit expensive though. Another I recommend is ;

Beginning Linux Programming
Wrox Press
isbn: 1-874416-68-0

A gentler introduction. Very well done.

Check Amazon etc.

HTH.

--

Alastair

I am new to UNIX/C programming: HELP!

Post by Kurt Wa » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Using recycled bits, Alastair blurted out:
%Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment
%W. Richard Stevens
%isbn: 0-201-56317-7

No argument here.

%A bit expensive though. Another I recommend is ;
%
%Beginning Linux Programming
%Wrox Press
%isbn: 1-874416-68-0

Bah.  I'm not usually one to bag a book after one mistake, but...
Their stuff on termios had me linking against lib[n]curses so I
because I was #include-ing <termios.h>.

%A gentler introduction. Very well done.

Very chatty and informative, I'll concede.  Just not accurate in
some cases.

--
Kurt Wall
Informix on Linux FAQ - http://www.xmission.com/~kwall/iolfaq.html

Post by Bjorn Lindgre » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I would like to start programming in C/C++ in the UNIX environment, but I
> don't know where to start...
> I know that there exist many C libraries such as:
> <sys/socket.h>
> <sys/types.h>
> <sys/ioctl.h>
> etc...
> I would very much like to use them, but I don't know whwre to find
> documentation...

Strongly recommend these four books:

The C language - K&R
Advanced programming in the UNIX enviroment - R.Stevens
UNIX network programming vol 1 Networking APIs - R.Stevens
UNIX network programming vol 2 InterProcess Communication - R.Stevens

The first one is especialy good for newbies to C,
the second is more UNIX specific, and the other cover all
you need to know about TCP/IP programming.

--
Bjorn Lindgren
bjorn(e)chiba.cx

I am new to UNIX/C programming: HELP!

Post by Wesley W. Garlan » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Strongly recommend these four books:

>The C language - K&R
>Advanced programming in the UNIX enviroment - R.Stevens
>UNIX network programming vol 1 Networking APIs - R.Stevens
>UNIX network programming vol 2 InterProcess Communication - R.Stevens

>The first one is especialy good for newbies to C,
>the second is more UNIX specific, and the other cover all
>you need to know about TCP/IP programming.

When I was a C-Unix Newbie, I learned a lot between K&R:
The C Programming Language (2nd Edition, based on the ANSI-draft
-- old printing!!) and Donald Lewine: POSIX Programmer's Guide.

These books served me really well in my early days, and are still
useful. The Stevens books are a great step after this.? Both of
those books have MUST-READ introductions.

Incidentally, my ISBNs for those books are 0-13-110362-8 and
0-937175-73-0.

Cheers,
Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland???????????? | Home: (613)549-9984 Cell:
(613)539-2951

PageMail, Inc.??????????????? |
Kingston, ON Canada?????????? |? Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?

Post by Derek Viljoe » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> These books served me really well in my early days, and are still
> useful. The Stevens books are a great step after this.  Both of
> those books have MUST-READ introductions.

If I could just add "Mastering C Pointers" by Robert Traister (sp?)

I believe he also has an updated C++ version.  It was invaluable to me
when I was learning C.

Derek Viljoen

Post by Victor Wagn » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: I would like to start programming in C/C++ in the UNIX environment, but I
: don't know where to start...
: I know that there exist many C libraries such as:
: <sys/socket.h>
: <sys/types.h>
: <sys/ioctl.h>
: etc...

: I would very much like to use them, but I don't know whwre to find
: documentation...

First. get a copy of Kernigan and Ritchie "C programming language" and
learn from there difference between _library_ and .h file.

I'm seriously advicing this book as starter's guide.

It would give you some start. Second book can be
Keringan and Pike "The Unix programming system"

These two books are enough for writing command-line utilities which deal
with text files.

Then learn how to use man command. This would give you ncurses at least.
Meanwhile collect all FAQs floating
around this newsgroup. Socket FAQ is enough for simple network
programming and if you don't want to write really advanced ones, lets
you save some $$ which you otherwise should spend on some
Stevens books.

Manual which comes with GNU C and GNU Libc is also excellent source of
information. If you have access to really fast printer, format both
(they come in Texinfo format, so you'll need TeX) and print them out.
It would give you about 900 pages of bedtime reading.
Or you can just read them online in Emacs or info browser.

As for graphics, there is excellent O'Reilly series for X window.
But I reccomend you against writing X programs on C. At least for a
while. Tcl/Tk is so much simplier.
: Any help?

: Thank you,
: Luis Alvarez