Java equivalent of poll()

Post by Ranko Popovi » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 09:50:47

I'm not sure this is the right group but...
Can anyone point me to the Java way of doing select/poll?

Cheers
Ranko

Java equivalent of poll()

Post by Nithyanandha » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 11:06:59

> I'm not sure this is the right group but...
> Can anyone point me to the Java way of doing select/poll?

Poller class was introduced in Java 2 SDK for solaris.

Goto
http://docsun.cso.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/nph-dweb/ab2/coll.45.13/JAVAVIRMAC...
,  read 'Poller Class Demonstration'  and then click on the link
-'Appendix C, Poller Class Usage' which demonstrates the usage of Poller
class.

Also, you have a method 'available( )' in Java which gives the number of
bytes of input currently available for reading without blocking. With
this method , you can give sleep( ) and loop around these . This can
give some basic behaviour of select( )/poll( ) , but not the exact one.

--Nithyanand.
  Siemens, Bangalore, India.

Java equivalent of poll()

Post by Nils O. Sel?sda » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:42:19

Quote:> I'm not sure this is the right group but...
> Can anyone point me to the Java way of doing select/poll?

No such thing (except if you use native code). You must wait for
J2sdk1.4,
which is in beta now.

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Help in Vancouver

3. linux equivalent to poll.h

4. help: DNS 4.1.2, named.boot, resolv.conf

5. polling, triggers, java, Oracle, C++

6. Windows XP and Linux network problem

7. ATTENTION: Netscape 3.0/java config poll

8. Problem Compiling ppp 2.2.0c on Kernel 1.2.13

9. java calling poll() with 10 ms timeout on solaris 2.6

10. Java Console equivalent in Star Office 5.1

11. poll/select in udprelay - anyone have poll.c(h) code for linux?

12. hylafax, poll sending, poll server

13. Q: poll.h and poll()