Which language would you recommend?

Post by Sean Collin » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 04:17:26

Hi everyone!

I am interested in developing a program which will allow users to reserve
time on a research instrument (with a series of rules for reservations) and
will provide usage and billing information periodically.

This will be developed and run on a Sun sparc5, but I would like it to  be
fairly portable. I have the sun version of Dbase but am quite miffed
about its bugginess and borlands unwillingness to support it unless you
pay their after-the-fact "support package" bribe.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am familiar with c,c++,fortran,
lisp (the usual gauntlet of mainstream languages) and have heard
very good things about tcl/tk and objective-c, but am neither prejudiced
towards them nor experienced WITH them ;-).

Please respond via email.

Thanks!

Sean C.

Sean Collins                                   UU  UU  FFFFFF

                                               UU  UU  FFFFF        of
Network Manager, Systems Administrator         UU  UU  FF        Chemistry
and Computer Technician                         UUUU   FF

Dept. Box 55, UF Dept. of Chem., PO BOX 117200, Gainesville, Fl. 32611

Post by Tara Mah » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 05:07:08

>I am interested in developing a program which will allow users to reserve
>time on a research instrument (with a series of rules for reservations) and
>will provide usage and billing information periodically.

>This will be developed and run on a Sun sparc5, but I would like it to  be
>fairly portable.

>Does anyone have any recommendations?

Tcl is a wonderful "glue" language for assembling sophisticated
applications.  The Tk toolkit is really the only fun way to write Graphical
User Interfaces for X.  If, by portability, you mean Mac, PC, and UNIX, then
you must wait a year for the Tk ports from X11 to the Mac and Windows.  If
you mean to any UNIX, then Tcl and Tk are very portable.  In addition, there
are extensions that interface to a variety of database packages.  Even if
there isn't one for your package, you could easily adapt an existing one.  I
know there are both sybase and ingress Tcl wrappers.

The network archive site for Tcl is harbor.ecn.purdue.edu.  Under the
pub/tcl directory there are subdirectories for the core Tcl distributions,
contributed extensions (extensions), contributed applications (code),
documentation (docs), and Tcl for non-UNIX platforms (distrib).

Good Luck,
Brent Welch, Xerox PARC
-----------------------
Author of "Practical Programming in Tcl and TK," to be published by Prentice
Hall in 1995.  For more information on this title, please visit the PH

Which language would you recommend?

Post by Steve Blinkho » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 22:22:10

Quote:>The PC port you mention is the one with native look and feel. TKWIN is
>available today with a Motif look and feel for Windows 3.1. There is

Where is TKWIN to be found?   (If this is an FAQ, apologies, I did try

--

Post by Rick D. Hebe » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 23:36:06

*> >The PC port you mention is the one with native look and feel. TKWIN is
*> >available today with a Motif look and feel for Windows 3.1. There is

*> Where is TKWIN to be found?   (If this is an FAQ, apologies, I did try

From the FAQ on ftp.aud.alcatel.com:
  TkWin can be obtained via anonymous ftp from ftp.ms.uky.edu in /pub/tk-win.

1. c-shell as a command language rather than a programming language

This question is well covered in the "Csh Programming Considered Harmful"
posting by  Tom Christiansen. This is (or was?) a regular post in the
following groups:
comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.programmer,news.answers

Basically, I'd say that a good command language would provide features
for working on the command line (like command history), while a good
programming tool would provide good programming features (like error
handling and logging) and portability.

Please refer to Tom Christiansen's post!

Oops:
When searching for the article I couldn't find it!? My saved copy
is dated Oct 1993. Is it still being posted?

--
Peer Toerngren, WM-data Konsult AB, S Kyrkogatan 4, S-652 24 Karlstad (Sweden)
Tel:   +46-(0)54/18 04 25               Fax:   +46-(0)54/15 67 85

"Proper disclaimer applies wherever applicable."

2. Move from NT/2000 to Linux.

3. Express Learning of languages - Language Bridge

4. 1/2" tapes

5. Programming languages and scripting languages

6. compiled binaries for use with Solaris 2.4

7. Solaris 8 Multi Language & Web Browsing foreign language sites

8. overruling pkgsrc download locations

9. WARNING: Recommend 2.5 Patches *not so* recommended...

10. MAXUSERS 0, anyone use, recommend/not-recommend?

11. Official announment of a C/C++ like interpreter language for AIX

12. Apache and multiview / language option

13. Help C language #define