Parallel Port

Post by Walter Robers » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

:I'm trying to control and access the parallel port on a Silicon Graphics
:Indigo workstation running IRIX 5.3 from C++. Unfortunately I don't know
:how to configure and communicate with the port, so anyone could help me
:out it'd be greatly appreciated.
:
:A couple of basic questions: does the port have a device name the way the
:serial ports have ttyd1, ttyd2, etc.? and are there any commonly used
:settings of the 'termio' structure or similar?

/dev/plp and /dev/plpbi  . See the 'plp' man page.

Be warned that reading *from* the parallel port is very * the
Indigo (and on almost all SGI workstations.) If your device doesn't
respond -exactly- like the devices the port was designed for, you will
almost certainly not be able to get reading from the port to work.
Many have tried, I've only heard of one person who succeeded.