WYSWYG Printing in UNIX ? Help !

Post by sccste » Sat, 29 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

I need some help on this project.

I need to know if there is any shareware software or any Commercial
product available that would enable a word processor progarm written in
XWindows and Motif to print to any of the available printers.

Is there any X Windows program or script that would enable my program to
print through some function all the fonts in the page of the word processor
Also, there is a possibility of putting images in the document, which we
would want to get printed. Somebody suggested using PostScript to put all
the page information in page description language, but again postscript
is not available in all printers. So, we have to decide on some page
description language that can be generic.

Is there any other approach to solve this problem ?
I would appreciate any pointers

Is nroff a good choice to do ?  Is it out of date technology ?

Please respond to us via email .

Thanks

Manoj Agarwala

Phone : 908-519-4471

Post by Kim Co » Sun, 30 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Hello everybody,

: I need some help on this project.

: I need to know if there is any shareware software or any Commercial
: product available that would enable a word processor progarm written in
: XWindows and Motif to print to any of the available printers.

: Is there any X Windows program or script that would enable my program to
: print through some function all the fonts in the page of the word processor
: Also, there is a possibility of putting images in the document, which we

:nojx would want to get printed. Somebody suggested using PostScript to put all
: the page information in page description language, but again postscript
: is not available in all printers. So, we have to decide on some page
: description language that can be generic.

: Is there any other approach to solve this problem ?
: I would appreciate any pointers

: Is nroff a good choice to do ?  Is it out of date technology ?

: Please respond to us via email .

: Thanks

: Manoj Agarwala

: Phone : 908-519-4471

:

Manoj,

I have some suggestions for you but first please tell me what sort
of platform and UNIX version you are running.  An excellent free package
for which runs on most UNIX boxes is AUIS ez.  This is a pretty good
word processor with many features.  ez, is a language sensitive word
processor which allows you to format, add graphics, sound, and various
fonts.  Upon completion of saving the ez file you can send the document
directly to the postscript printer. Whether your printer prints postscript
is another consideration.  Let me know what type of printer you have and
I will let you know. Typically printers connected to UNIX stations utilize
a utility called ghostscript to filter postscript files to the printer.
This enables you to print postscript on non-postscript printers.  By the
way ghostscript is also free.  Well I hope this helps you out some.  If
you provide me with some info on your setup I can help you further.

Ok,
Ahmed Bilal-Sudan

1. HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING -- HELP PRINTING

Hey,

I tried to install my HP deskjet 520 under Linux since a long time
but I always have a lot of problems

The last one is that when i start a job linux can't start the daemon
printer but i have followed the HOWTO for the permissions

I search the EXACTLY FILES and the GOODS PERMISSIONS that i have to
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
use and if possible a GOOD FILTER for the HP DESKJET 520 printer
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^
(filter to solve the staircase effect )

PLEASE HELP ME -- HELP ME

I hope a lot of GOOD responses via mail only

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL
--------------------

======= http://dico.unice.fr/~plazis    ===========

2. Logitech Mouseman and 5.0.2

3. Unix Printing need help -- How do I print to a device

4. Been Mail Bombed! Help

5. Stealth Video 2500

6. Unix Plug-ins?

7. Linux with AHA2825

8. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

9. Unix Libraries Ins/Outs

10. Q: WYSWYG wordprocessors for Linux/Xfree86?

12. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help