executing output directly from crypt

Post by Stephen Reag » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 13:32:19

I have an encrypted executable file which I wish to decrypt and execute
directly within a program (e.g., exec) without creating an intermediate
output file from the decrypted output (i.e., the original executable file).
In other words, I want to execute the output from the crypt command which
has decrypted the file as if I were running the original program.
I tried to set up a named pipe, thinking that somehow I could execute the
stuff if the pipe was used in an exec call, but, of course, this didn't work.
I have the feeling that either this is totally impossible/unreasonable or
so trivial that I'm totally overlooking somwthing.  Any ideas???

Thanks,

--Steve

Post by Ami Fischm » Fri, 15 Jul 1994 00:38:33

: I have an encrypted executable file which I wish to decrypt and execute
: directly within a program (e.g., exec) without creating an intermediate
: output file from the decrypted output (i.e., the original executable file).
: In other words, I want to execute the output from the crypt command which
: has decrypted the file as if I were running the original program.
: I tried to set up a named pipe, thinking that somehow I could execute the
: stuff if the pipe was used in an exec call, but, of course, this didn't work.
: I have the feeling that either this is totally impossible/unreasonable or
: so trivial that I'm totally overlooking somwthing.  Any ideas???

Is the executable a shell script?
If so, try crypt < infile | sh
If not, I think your only choice is to get some sort of
"virtual-file-system" software (heard something about it in
comp.os.linux.announce), and write the temp file to memory, and execute it
from there.

--
                                        --Ami
                                          Have YOU hugged YOUR smurf today?

1. execute program directly in memory

Hello:

I've an simple array (C program) named program[] which contains a
shell-script.

i.e.:

My question is:

How can I execute the shell-script in the array[] without using a
temporary-file ?
I wouldn't write the program[] array in a temp file and execute it using
the system() subroutine

In other words: how can execute directly in memory a binary-program if
it is already stored in an array?

Thanks,
Gianni.

2. IP Addressing

3. ES688:sound input directly couples back to output!

4. minix as a V86 task?

5. reading output of subprocess directly with no disk writing in C?

6. Ideas: common Authentication

7. How to Directly Read Piped-Output as Input in C

8. Sparc 1+ Question

9. using crypt output as a primary key in a RDBMS

10. unix crypt() vs. AIX crypt()

11. crypt in C++ just like crypt in c library

12. passwd hashing methods Re: unix crypt() vs. AIX crypt()

13. Does Linux support crypt(1) and crypt(3)?