message queues scalability

Post by Shad » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

maybe a silly question but how scalable are message queues? how many
messages/process or how much kb data can be existant at a time? is it
possible to alter restrictions etc...

    thank you
        shadi

Post by Larry Blanchar » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

> maybe a silly question but how scalable are message queues? how many
> messages/process or how much kb data can be existant at a time? is it
> possible to alter restrictions etc...

>     thank you
>         shadi

As far as SCO Unix goes (as of 3-4 yeras ago) message queues are
scalable via kernel tuning parameters.  This was also true of AT&T Unix
according to their System Administrators Manual.  Can't speak for other
variants, but I'd suspect a lot of them followed AT&Ts lead.
--
Larry Blanchard - Old roses, old motorcycles, and old trains
Homo Sapiens is a goal, not a description.

1. Error Message of Message Queue

  Dear netters,

  I have one question about message queue. Could anyone please do me a favor?

  I used UNIX message queue for interprocess communication. When I used  msgsnd
  function and IPC_NOWAIT argument, I will always get a error message:
  No more processes

  What does that mean? How does that happen?

  E-mail or post will be fine. Thanks in advance.

  Jeff Chen.

2. 2.4.20 kernel link error

3. HELP! encoding messages for message queues

4. JPEG --> GIF converter?

5. Deleting a message from a message queue??

6. Book for Newbie

7. HELP!: encoding messages for message queues

8. Sticky socket question

9. HELP! encoding messages for message queues

10. how to see messages in message queue ...

11. My stream socket vs message queue test results...

12. Message queue

13. oops messages and wait queue declaration