Distributed processing server s/w?

Post by Jim Castleber » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I need s/w to manage a queue of jobs and a pool of networked unix machines.
Jobs will be issued from the queue to the "best" machine, based on attributes
such as the type of job, the size / speed / current load of each machine, time
of day, etc.  Most jobs be big and slow rather than small and fast.  The system
should be pretty much free-running once it's set up.

Does something like this exist?

Jim Castleberry
In-System Design, Meridian, ID

Distributed processing server s/w?

Post by Kevin W » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

There is a package called LSF that will manage this.
check out: http://www.platform.com.

Kevin

Distributed processing server s/w?

Post by Kevin W » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

There is a package called LSF that will manage this.
check out: http://www.platform.com.

Kevin

1. Dynamic server distributed on static servers?

Hello everyone -

We are trying to distribute a "semi-dynamic" website (we use JSP pages w/ a
MySQL DB, and our content doesn't change very often) across a pool of
"semi-static" servers.

THE PROPOSED SOLUTION
We want to distribute the content across a bank of static, redundant,
"front-end" servers, which essentially act as "active" mirrors of what is on
the dynamic server.
On each user request, the request will get distributed to one of the
redundant "front-end" machines. This machine will serve its copy of what it
thinks is currently on the server.
To make sure the "front-end"'s content is fresh, the "front-end" machine
could either: query the main "dynamic" server on each client request to make
sure it still has a fresh copy (compare timestamps)... or it could time-out
its own copy every half hour or so.  If it gets a request it doesn't have
content for, it can get it from the central server.

BTW... we are rewriting all our URLS to be in "static" servable form:  all
URLs ending in either .htm / .gif / etc.   In reality the dynamic server
will dynamically be serving these requests.

For example   /foo/bar.jsp?one=15&two=25
could be rewritten:  /foo/bar/15-25.htm

or something like that.

SO NOW FOR THE QUESTION:
Is this a good idea?  Should we just be distributing JSP across dynamic
servers via some expensive Enterprise servers?

Are there any relevant info. sources on this somewhere on the net?

What should be run on those "front-end" machines?  Can this be done with
Apache, or will we need Squid?  Or something else?

Thank you-

2. Controlling a modem (TAPI?)

3. Using a kernel module

4. Kernel Mechanism for Distributed Processing

5. Apache as intranet webserver on a windows dominated intranet

6. Threads and Distributed Processing

7. recompiling kernel

8. Distributed IPC and process management

9. Distributed processing /rsh

10. Scheme for distributed processing

11. Distributing running processes

12. Distributing processes on Solaris 2.5.1