finger command

Post by G. Eva » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 05:49:12

Is there a way to turn this off so that if someone is trying to use this
command the connection will be refused????

finger command

Post by Jeff Blai » Mon, 18 Jul 1994 14:12:24

>Is there a way to turn this off so that if someone is trying to use this
>command the connection will be refused????

Comment out the finger line in /etc/inetd.conf and send a HUP signal to
the inetd process to reload the /etc/inetd.conf.  You must be root to do
this.

Nice userid, BTW.
--

Jeff Blaine
CIESIN Operations

1. /etc/passwd comment field contents for the finger command

     The SCO manual page for the finger command don't seem to tell the
whole story.  Here's what it says:

    the comment field, ``Brian Foster, Mission, x70, 767-1234,'' contains
data
    for the ``In Real Life,'' ``Office,'' and ``Home Phone'' columns of the
    finger listings.

Yet there is an entry in my /etc/passwd file for which the finger command
reports "Name," "Office," and "Office Phone" instead of "Name", "Office,"
and "Home Phone".  I have tried to emulate this entry for other users, but
the heading "Home Phone" keeps coming up instead of "Office Phone."  Also,
of course, the "Office Phone" heading is visible when examining
/usr/bin/finger with the strings command.  Additionally, there is an "m"
option in the usage string when running the program which is not mentioned
in the manual page.

What I would like to do is to put a user's real name, employee number (not
SSN), department, title, and extension number into this field.  Of course,
the employee number could be kept with the real name; and the title could
be kept with the department in the "Office" field; but right now the
extension number comes up as "Home Phone" instead of "Office Phone."

Any ideas?
Thanks.

2. Help Please - exit signal File size limit exceeded (25)

3. HOW GO CATCH THE FINGER COMMAND

4. RSYNC binary for SCO available

5. Finger Command.

6. New KDE ideas. (Read only if you're really bored.)

7. Problem with finger command

8. The problem of a pager

9. origin of finger command?

10. Output of finger command