Cache Instructions

Post by Amri » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:17:53

Hi

Are there specific assembly instructions to access cache memory, in
intel microprocessor.

Thanks in advance
Amrith

Cache Instructions

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:09:26

> Are there specific assembly instructions to access cache memory, in
> intel microprocessor.

What do you mean by "access"?  I don't know of any instructions to
read or write the cache specifically, but there are instructions for
flushing the cache.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

Cache Instructions

Post by Amri » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:29:01

Hi.

I am thinking of a utility for finding Cache hits and misses in unix.

So for that i would have find the cache hits/misses.
I would like to know, How to find out the cache misses/hits.

Amrith

Cache Instructions

Post by M?ns Rullg? » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:14:58

> I am thinking of a utility for finding Cache hits and misses in unix.

> So for that i would have find the cache hits/misses.
> I would like to know, How to find out the cache misses/hits.

What you can do depends on your CPU.  PAPI can be used to access
various CPU counters, see http://icl.cs.utk.edu/papi.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd