child process, child program

Post by Piero Donat » Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to build a server socket forking a child process, which will
execute a child program. This child program will be writing on stdin
from time to time. How can the child process get to know when the child
program's writing is done ? which means do i have to use ?

child process, child program

Post by » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to build a server socket forking a child process, which will
> execute a child program. This child program will be writing on stdin
> from time to time. How can the child process get to know when the child
> program's writing is done ? which means do i have to use ?

If the child exits just after it's finished with the file, the parent can
wait for the SIGCHLD signal.

If the child continues after finishing, you can construct a pipe between
them and send a message, or allocate shared memory or a queue and send a
message that way.

--

the lost and breathless, lonely brother.   |          Cupertino, California
Both crone and child, now crying wild,     | (xxx)xxx-xxxx            95015

1. Getting a child and child's child process-id

 Why not just have the parent fork twice ??? Saves a lot of trouble ...
--

#  Have you read your Book In Basic Life Education today ? You should !!  #
#  Any views I express are not necessarily those of Brighton Polytechnic  #

2. ES1878 Audio driver?

3. Comments on Quake for Linux

4. smail failed to reap child process: No child processes

5. Ethernet Advice Sought

6. how to kill a child process that runs other children processes

7. where can i download graphics adapter(GXT130p) drivers ?

8. How to create memory in ptraced child process w/o child source code

9. kill child and its all grad child processes?

10. how do i wait for child processes, and *their* children to finish

11. child's child redirection

12. Apache children having children??