Utility to password-protect a file or directory under Unix

Utility to password-protect a file or directory under Unix

Post by acejoke » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

Does anyone where I can get an utility which will allow me to secure a file
and directory under Unix? i.e. need to type in password in order to access
them.

Regards,
Acejoker

Post by predato » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi!

> Does anyone where I can get an utility which will allow me to secure a file
> and directory under Unix? i.e. need to type in password in order to access
> them.

Well just use System permisions:)
chmod 700 dirname
and only owner of that dir will have acces to it...

--
Regards
char email[]=

Post by Andreas Kaha » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Hi!

>Does anyone where I can get an utility which will allow me to secure a file
>and directory under Unix? i.e. need to type in password in order to access
>them.

>Regards,
>Acejoker

Both PGP [1] and GnuPG [2] will allow you to secure (crypt) a file so
that you need a password to access it in readable form. I don't think
they'll do directories, but you could always tar the directory
first...

[1] <URL:http://www.pgpi.org/>
[2] <URL:http://www.gnupg.org/>

/A

--
Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
All junk e-mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

Utility to password-protect a file or directory under Unix

Post by mane » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You could use either chmod 700

or there are alot of different encryption tools you could use,

-bdes
-pgp
-crypt
-enigma