RPC Protocol Information

Post by Jim Kimbl » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

From the quick and nimble fingers of Sriram K Parameswar:

Quote:

> If anybody has information (apart from the RFC's) on the packet structure
> of ONC (Sun) RPC  - could you please help me out.

The source code to Sun's ONC RPC is freely available on the net so you
dissect the structures first hand, if that's what you're wanting to do.

One thing to be aware of when grabbing the ONC RPC sources from an archive
site:   The most recent release of Sun's RPC sources is TI-RPC 2.3.  You
might find archives containing RPC 4.0, but that's for are the older TS-RPC
library.

TS-RPC is transport specific and relies on sockets for its underlying
communications, while TI-RPC uses the TLI interface along with universal
addresses instead of sockaddr_in et al.

Both TI-RPC and TS-RPC are on-the-wire compatible so the packet structure
going across the net will be identical.

E-Mail me if you have some specific questions about it...

Yet Another UNIX Contractor                     SunSoft, TI-RPC Development

"ALPO is 99 cents a can... that's almost SEVEN dog dollars!!"

RPC Protocol Information

Post by Sriram K Paramesw » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Howdy,

I need this information rather desperately - so please excuse the cross
posting.

If anybody has information (apart from the RFC's) on the packet structure of
ONC (Sun) RPC  - could you please help me out.

1. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

[Q2] Stupid but non-FAQ NFS question #2:
Thanks for the help of finding out the rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rcp.nfsd.
Still, after reading the NFS-FAQ, Linux Network Admin Guide, none of these guys
seem to work at all.  I still get the message of RPC fault: program is not
registered.  I guess I really need a cookbook example.

Let's say I have machines A and B which both of them can telnet and ftp to each
other.  In other words, they are properly connected.  Now, this is how I did.
I add three statements at the begninning of the rc.inet2 at machine A:

/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
/bin/mount -t nfs B:/home /mnt

Then, I add /mnt B[rw] at /etc/exports at machine A.
Then, reboot machine A, and it prompts RPC fault: program is not registered.
Can anyone provide me an idiot-proof way of attacking this?  Thanks.
BTW, someone mention "premeter".  What is that?

--

Salem

2. ET4000/W32i (Dell Optiplex)

3. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

4. Help!!! Scary Boot Messages!!!

5. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

6. Drivers for Riva tnt?

7. RPC 4.0 vs RPC 4.1 vs TI RPC

8. Help needed on Symbolic links....

9. Comparison bet soap rpc, dce rpc and sun rpc

10. rpc protocols and their compilers

11. how to hide http protocol version information?

12. UGID RPC protocol

13. How do I know NETMASK by protocol level information?