Business Opportunity

Post by Marshall La » Tue, 29 Dec 1992 22:03:33

We at TEAM Software are considering putting together a catalogue of
computer software for the end user.  This software could be any type
(entertainment, utility, educational, etc.) and run on any platform
(PC, Amiga, Macintosh, Atari, NeXT, UNIX, etc.).  The software would be
inexpensive to the end user (we envision $5 to $15).  It would be kept
inexpensive by not including any type of packaging and providing the
documentation as a disk file.  We would not necessarily exclude higher
priced software, however.

For this approach to work we feel we would need to offer a lot of
product in the catalogue.  We have access to extensive mailing lists for
various platforms.  The programmer would retain all rights to the
software and there would be a contract between the programmer and TEAM
Software.  We expect the programmer to make a royalty of 10% to 15% of
our gross.

Do you know anyone who might be interested in providing software for
something like this?

Marshall Lake
TEAM Software
POB 7332
Washington, DC  20044-7332
tel 703-533-2132
fax 703-538-4598
uucp ...!uunet!{media,mimsy!bogart}!irscscm!mlake

CIS 73717,3174
GEnie MLAKE

--
Marshall Lake

Post by Steve Bil » Thu, 31 Dec 1992 02:36:25

>We at TEAM Software are considering putting together a catalogue of
>computer software for the end user.
> :
>We expect the programmer to make a royalty of 10% to 15% of
>our gross.

No money up front and only 15% royalty????  What a rip-off!

M, BATR..
..Steve Bilan

Business Opportunity

Post by David P. Boerschle » Wed, 30 Dec 1992 23:51:30

This is not necessarily a rip off since TEAM is doing all the advertising and
handling all of the accounting (I guess).   I suppose that each programmer
should consider his/her software package, its marketability, and the agreement
before deciding whether or not to go this route.    For small applications,
this may be a more effective route to go than the ShareWare route.

--
                                 __________________________
                                |                          |

    (_|__/_(_|_\/_|_(_|         | MS 130    (804) 864-6228 |
                                | NASA LaRC                |
                                | Hampton, VA 23681        |
                                |__________________________|

Business Opportunity

Post by Nick Christoph » Thu, 31 Dec 1992 06:30:48

Quote:> Marshall Lake at Internal Revenue Service, Washington, DC

Is this an IRS sectioned?

\n

Business Opportunity

Post by Bill Vermilli » Sat, 02 Jan 1993 02:14:12

>>We at TEAM Software are considering putting together a catalogue of
>>computer software for the end user.
>> :
>>We expect the programmer to make a royalty of 10% to 15% of
>>our gross.
>No money up front and only 15% royalty????  What a rip-off!

And the 15% of a $5 program is only 75 cents.   Now if you have
a top-of-the-line program, that sells for $15, you can make
$2.25  WHOOPEE :-)

So to make a decent amount, they'd have to sell well in excess
of 20,000 copies of your program.   Perhaps do-able in a DOS
oriented environment but surely not in this area.

--

                - ..!{peora|tous|tarpit}!bilver!bill

Business Opportunity

Post by Terry Tompki » Sat, 16 Jan 1993 06:19:37

I worked for a small software company.  I was very much aware of how
much each aspect of the development, production and marketing of a package
cost.  If you take out the cost of printed documentation, and the cost of
development (a huge factor in itself, which consists of things like
salaries, benefits, taxes, facilities, hardware, software, maintenance,
ad infinitum), you have taken a *huge* percentage of the expense away.  You
also greatly diminish the risk of a bad investment, since you can look over
all the applicants, and choose only the ones which look marketable.  And on
top of all this, TEAM is planning on selling the software for only $5-15 a
pop.  This means the developer gets anywhere from $0.50 to $2.25 per copy.
It seems that 30-40 percent of the gross would be more realistic under the
circumstances.  I know there are many others out there who are also in this
business, so feel free to enlighten us with your experiences.  -terryt