Getting network throughput in bytes per second

Getting network throughput in bytes per second

Post by Cameron Ker » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi all.

I was asked today how to get the volume (in B/s or such) going through a
network (interface). Infortunately, I can only figure this out in
packets/second, which is not very reliable.

Any ideas out there? Much appreciated (I'll be needing this myself soon)

+-[ Cameron Kerr ]--------------------------+

|http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cameronk/ |
|Computer Science Student / Systems Geek    |

Post by christia » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:26:44

> Hi all.

> I was asked today how to get the volume (in B/s or such) going through a
> network (interface). Infortunately, I can only figure this out in
> packets/second, which is not very reliable.

> Any ideas out there? Much appreciated (I'll be needing this myself soon)

(Linux, at least) /proc/net/dev seems to display the number of bytes
received/sent, as well as the number
of packets.....

--

Best regards,

1. How to translate disk i/os per second to throughput?

When a vendor or spec sheet says a disk frame will do 65 i/os per
second, how do you translate that to megabytes per second?

For example, EMC says the disks should do 65 i/os per second and when
I do a "cp filename /dev/null" I get 5 megabytes per second transfer
throughput. Do these numbers correlate with each other?

Thanks for any advice.

2. SCSI

3. Two network interface = 200 Mbps throughput?

4. Iptables problem

5. httpd not responding

6. determine throughput from LAN to Internet, Durchsatz vom LAN ins Internet berechnen

7. Patch for autoconfig in kdebase

8. Per process, per user network bandwidth limiter

9. Poor PPP throughput approx. 500 bytes/sec

10. per interface throughput wanted

11. Any tools to do per-filesystem throughput monitoring?

12. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...