> UN*X on a 8088

Post by Sven Dowide » Fri, 15 Apr 1994 09:10:36

 have picked up the manuals for two operating systems that say that they run up to 3 users
with multiple processes.

these are
        PCNX
        PCVMS

I don`t have the disks as the manuals were picked out if the rubbish.

but.... tis software was written specifically for the Xt and AT
anything else was non-existant?

both operating systems are copy and use as primary command shells instead of command.com

and are 'able to run must well behaved MS-DOS software'
the company they are from is Wendin, Inc
based in the USA
it comes complete with source code and 'supports a dynamic mix of timeshareing and realtime processes.

If anyone has a copy of either software in their 360Kb bunkers,
I would love to own a copy - I am willing to pay for it if .
is  or has anyone run this with an ethernet network, ie does NCSA and ka9q work while multitasking
 - I would like to run it on a spare 286 with ka9q for a mail and ftp area.

as you can see - unix is possible on an XT
remember an XT is a bigger system than some pdp-11`s that can and still do run .

svend

Applied Climate Research Unit                     PH 365 4101 (work)
University of Queensland                             289 2325 (home)

1. UN*X on intel 8088...

HELP!

ok actually I just need a pointer...
I know it will be VERY slow etc etc..
but I want to run UNIX on a 8088 (640k 125mb hd hercules monitor etc) but
so far have (go figure..) been unable to find a version that will run on an 8088
I KNOW they are out there, have heard bout them and such from "old timers :)"
can anyone please please (on hands and knees) tell me where I can find a copy?

Christopher C Pitts

ps. email would b great if u can, if not post here, our netnews is very

2. Framebuffer

3. How do I un-rename, or un-delete or un-compile?

4. A Challenge

5. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

6. Cd Creator in JDS?

7. Linux on 8088

8. Soundblaster

9. Good way to get TCP/IP on an 8088?

10. 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

11. 8088 as dumb terminal!!!

12. 8088 terminals

13. old 8088 as terminal