Q: cc and licenses

Post by James Dropp » Tue, 19 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Could someone explain or point to an explantion of how the cc process
works from a licensing standpoint.

Huh? You might ask...let me try to explain.

There are 3 programmers working on a Sun Sparc running Sun Microsystems
Inc. SunOS 5.4 and there is one C complier license on the system.

The process should work like a token ring. (ie. programmer A starts a
compile, programmer B starts a complie but can't until programmmer A is
completed, programmer C starts a complie but can't until programmer A and
programmer B has finished.)

The problem is that the above scenario is not taking place.  Only
one person seems to be able to compile and the other 2 are displayed
the following message:

License : All 1 license(s) for SPARCompiler C are currently in use,
queuing the request

This message is displayed even after the person has finished compiling.
Leaving the other 2 high and dry.

We've noticed that there are files in /tmp such as:

       sunpro.c.1.3014.3.00
       license_log
       acompBAAa001uB
       acompAAAa001uB
       cpp.07871.0.i

I can not find any documentation that defines any of these files and
their purpose.

If any one has information that can help us at least understand why this
is happening it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jim

\
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=Views expressed here are my own and in no way reflect the views of any
other party.  Responsibility for the subject matter is soley the authors.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=/

Q: cc and licenses

Post by Fletcher.Gl.. » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Could someone explain or point to an explantion of how the cc process
>works from a licensing standpoint.

>Huh? You might ask...let me try to explain.

>There are 3 programmers working on a Sun Sparc running Sun Microsystems
>Inc. SunOS 5.4 and there is one C complier license on the system.

>The process should work like a token ring. (ie. programmer A starts a
>compile, programmer B starts a complie but can't until programmmer A is
>completed, programmer C starts a complie but can't until programmer A and
>programmer B has finished.)

>The problem is that the above scenario is not taking place.  Only
>one person seems to be able to compile and the other 2 are displayed
>the following message:

>License : All 1 license(s) for SPARCompiler C are currently in use,
>queuing the request

>This message is displayed even after the person has finished compiling.
>Leaving the other 2 high and dry.

>We've noticed that there are files in /tmp such as:

>       sunpro.c.1.3014.3.00
>       license_log
>       acompBAAa001uB
>       acompAAAa001uB
>       cpp.07871.0.i

>I can not find any documentation that defines any of these files and
>their purpose.

>If any one has information that can help us at least understand why this
>is happening it would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance

>Jim

>\
>=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=Views expressed here are my own and in no way reflect the views of any
>other party.  Responsibility for the subject matter is soley the authors.
>=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=/

The Sun compiler license system causes the first holder of the license
to continue to hold the license for 15 minutes regardless of need.
You will find that your other users with requests queued will get in
at 15 minute intervals.

It is possible to configure the license hold time, but the server will
not accept any number less than 15 minutes.  I guess that Sun is trying
to sell more licenses.

Q: cc and licenses

Post by James Dropp » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

First, Thanks to all who replied to my post.

Second, I have included those replies below, if anyone is interested. It
appears to be a timing issue within Unix.

The license remains "checked out" for a while after the compile
finishes.  I think by default this period is 10 minutes.  There was a
patch for older versions of the compiler to reduce that period (down
to zero if you want); with newer versions I believe it's a
configuration option.  Your Fine Manual should have the details.

Jim Davis

By default the licenses are kept until 15 minutes after the compile
finishes (as getting a license incurs a lot of overhead, it is cached
in a file in /tmp).

You can change this behaviour by setting the linger period of the license
deamon to considerably less than 15 minutes.  See the license manager
docs.

I think it's done by specifying an extra file paramater on the daemon
line with options, that option file contains:

LINGER sunpro.c <seconds>

Casper.Dik

The Sun compiler license system causes the first holder of the license
to continue to hold the license for 15 minutes regardless of need.
You will find that your other users with requests queued will get in
at 15 minute intervals.

It is possible to configure the license hold time, but the server will
not accept any number less than 15 minutes.  I guess that Sun is trying
to sell more licenses.

Fletcher.Glenn

Thanks again

Jim

1. Workshop CC coredumps when no license available ?

Is it a bug in ccfe of workshop 5.0 or have I fucked up something ?

If there is no available license for the compiler the ccfe coredumps
like:

CC: Fatal error in ccfe: Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

I run the licensemgr included with the workshop 5.0

For a compiler I would very much prefere that the CC was just queued up
until
the license was available, maybe even with a small print out that CC was
pending
a license. A core dump is the least I expected from the compiler.

Rgds Lars Worsaae

2. Networking problem, approaching insanity rapidly

3. CC license for SPARC on x86

4. puzzled

5. cc / license manager problem

6. hard disk problem

7. Problem with cc license error.

8. who to tell rlogin to ask me about login name?

9. cc licences

10. installing CC license

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. what's the cc in /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc?

13. 1 * vxjcLnWdi-Compiling shared lib with native Sun compiler (cc, aka, CC)