Information from Unix station to PC

Post by stef » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Dear all
I've already connected Unix station and a PC by using socket.
I would just like to know if I could develop the same application by using
the specific 'le' ethernet port of the station.

In fact can I do an open of this port and then write data through this port
once it is opened.

If that doesn't work like this could someone tell me how I could develop my
application and tell me if this will be faster than my socket
implementation

Thanks for all

Post by Ian Collin » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Dear all
> I've already connected Unix station and a PC by using socket.
> I would just like to know if I could develop the same application by using
> the specific 'le' ethernet port of the station.

> In fact can I do an open of this port and then write data through this port
> once it is opened.

> If that doesn't work like this could someone tell me how I could develop my
> application and tell me if this will be faster than my socket
> implementation

> Thanks for all

It's not worth the effort.

Sockets are portable and work on both Unix and windoze.  If you want
to dabble with raw IP, see the raw IP faq.  You will find there is no common
standard even within the Unix world.

    Ian

1. SPARC-station running Solaris vs PC-station running Linux

Hrm, "PC-station" ... heh heh.

Yup. First, get reliable PC hardware. Second, I wouldn't rely on Linux
to be there for a mission-critical machine. I'm sure all the Linux
bigots and whatnot will flame me and tell me otherwise, but hey, this is
what *I* think. Third, use FreeBSD <http://www.FreeBSD.org/>

Solaris/Intel on even the most reliable PC hardware just won't cut it.

Never.

I think the Usenet spam-bots (or email address extracting bots, rather)
are catching on to this whole 'nospam' deal, and can remove it and get a
working address. I propose that people make an MD5 hash of their e-mail

reply brute-force the email address out of the hash. I figure, if people
want to reply badly enough, they'd brute force it at a local
supercomputing center, but the spammers won't spend *that* large an
amount of resources to do this.

Seriously, just use ROT-13 or something, for the username. That way the
bots can't figure out whether it's ROT-13'd or not from looking at the
TLD or domain (checking if it exists, etc). Although I'm sure they could
figure out that it's ROT-13'd (for some addresses), to check for vowels,
and whatnot. Pretty cool SPAM technology, huh? Wow, this is a huge
paragraph about SPAM on a non-SPAM-related Solaris mailing list.

--
Yong S. Yi          KeyID 1024/0AF3C425        http://async.org/~ysyi/
PGP Key Fingerprint = 3A 65 AE 82 07 2A EF 73  0B 84 67 5D 1D 96 9F 8D

[ don't remove anything from my e-mail address. send to as-is. ]

2. termios and serial programming

3. Connecting a PC to an Unix Station ?

4. arrow keys in curses?

5. looking for information on how to query a pc for system hardware information

6. Apache Server mailing list

7. RCP and Windows

8. PC unix networking support information

9. Unix for 386-PC / Information wanted

10. unix desktop on pc, pc desktop on unix box, free

11. newbie::how can i get these information of a station?

12. Mounting devices on Sparc Station from a PC