Is the time in gprof CPU time or elapsed time?

Is the time in gprof CPU time or elapsed time?

Post by me » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 05:37:02

hav looked everywhere but cant seem to find if the time is elapsed (including
i/o associated with it and everything) or just CPU

Post by Nate Eldredg » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 06:56:58

> hav looked everywhere but cant seem to find if the time is elapsed
> (including i/o associated with it and everything) or just CPU

CPU time, I'm almost certain.

A simple test should suffice to prove it (call sleep() and see if it
contributes to your times).

--

Nate Eldredge

Post by Oleg Goldshmid » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:56:45

> hav looked everywhere but cant seem to find if the time is elapsed
> (including i/o associated with it and everything) or just CPU

From the gprof info pages:

   The output from `gprof' gives no indication of parts of your program
that are limited by I/O or swapping bandwidth.  This is because samples
of the program counter are taken at fixed intervals of the program's
run time.  Therefore, the time measurements in `gprof' output say
nothing about time that your program was not running.  For example, a
part of the program that creates so much data that it cannot all fit in
physical memory at once may run very slowly due to thrashing, but
`gprof' will say it uses little time.  On the other hand, sampling by
run time has the advantage that the amount of load due to other users
won't directly affect the output you get.

Hope it helps,

--

"I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs."

1. convert UT time in local time / local time in UT time

hello,

    I try to make a fonction to convert a local time in UT time. i try to
use
     mktime + gmtime + timezone + daylight.... but the result is not OK.
    Please help me....
    The problem is the same when i try to convert a UT time in Local
Time....

    my imput date format is : 'YYYYMMDDHHMMSS'.

    I'am a beginner on Unix (and in english).....

    Does anyone know about a function or an example (in C) .

    Thanks for any help.

2. Ftape: "fdc not ready" in fdc_result()

3. time time time how can I tell the time

4. Need a good msdos tek package

5. times(3) and elapsed real time

6. performance under linux

7. Daylight time (label) but standard time (time)

8. SSH doesn't work

9. Daylight Savings time, system time, hardware time....

10. hda : irq time out {busy} from time to time

11. CPU Time includes Page Swapping Time?

12. timing code execution (time spent in CPU)

13. How can I measure CPU-time and Network traffic time ?