UDP: One packet to many hosts?

Post by Michael C. Starki » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Is there any way to connect a single socket to multiple addresses so
that one single send() will transmit a single UDP datagram to more than
one destination.  I have one client and serval hosts.  The client needs to send
the packet to each host. The packet is very large and my system doesn't support
multicasting.  Broadcasting is out of the question due to the packet size.  I
guess I have to duplicate the packet for each host and send it peer to peer.
IS THERE A BETTER WAY?

        Grateful,

Best regards,
-----------------
Michael C. Starkie
M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory

UDP: One packet to many hosts?

Post by Michael C. Starki » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> > guess I have to duplicate the packet for each host and send it peer to peer.
> > IS THERE A BETTER WAY?

> you can implement your own multicast, of course.  even without
> broadcast packets, you can reduce the cost to logn by using a
> tree to retransmit the packets.  you might even be able to
> use some of the special IP addresses which I believe are reserved
> for broadcast.  the Stevens books would describe this...

        What do you mean by using a tree to retransmit the packets?

Best regards,
-----------------
Michael C. Starkie
M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory

UDP: One packet to many hosts?

Post by Bjorn Ree » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>         What do you mean by using a tree to retransmit the packets?

Imagine that all the hosts are connected with each other in the
following fashion

 A----B----C----D
       \

If you client is connected to host B, B will send to A, C, E.
Host C will relay the message to D.

The above was just a simple example. The tree can be much more
complex. You have to decide if you will allow cyclic trees though.

1. How to receive UDP and ICMP packet using one UDP socket, (Path MTUD)

Dear All,

Can we configure one socket to receive two different protocols packet.
Like how can we made a UDP socket to receive udp as well as icmp
messages.

Actually I am implementing Path MTUD, so for that I sent some udp
probs to destination host, now I want that the same socket at client
side must be able to receive both udp response and icmp error
messages(like host unreachable, port unreachable etc).

Another approach is that, we will use two sockets for both source and
destination, form source we will send udp probs(through udp socket)
while at destination host, after receiving that prob(through udp
socket), application will make an icmp packet and sent it back to the
source host (using ICMP socket). And here at source host, that message
and other icmp error messages will be received by icmp socket.

But this approch dosen't look efficient to me, what u people say? If
Any one has another approch plz let me know.

Eagerly waiting for some +ve pings.

2. kill -DIE_DIE_DIE

3. Looking utility to clone UDP packets to several hosts!

4. Mailserver on lan problem

5. iptables only NATing the first udp packet in a "connection"

6. ip masqerading and icq

7. lots of port 65535 packets to various hosts from a single one

8. LUG

9. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

10. detect if host recieving any IP packets at all from host

11. Sniffing packets where source host = dest. host

12. One write() == One packet ?

13. FTP from one host to another host