Touch Typing (was Microsoft natural keyboard / Dvorak keyboard users)

Touch Typing (was Microsoft natural keyboard / Dvorak keyboard users)

Post by Andrew M. Bish » Sun, 21 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I had thought about buying one of the ergonomic keyboards (not
necessarily Microsoft) but after seeing the discussion of which side
of the keyboard the '6' key should be on, I think I will wait.

While I am waiting though, I might set about learning to touch type
properly. (I know roughly which keys to use with which finger and do
*try* to use the correct ones.)

Can any of the many touch typing programmers out there tell me if
there is a program that I can use to learn touch typing. A DOS /
Windows / UNIX program that will take me through the stages and rid me
of my bad habits (like looking at the keyboard most of the time) would
be great.

Any pointers to QWERTY or Dvorak style typing tutors would be greatly
appreciated.

Andrew.

Touch Typing (was Microsoft natural keyboard / Dvorak keyboard users)

Post by Bill Whed » Mon, 22 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Sorry, off-topic still, but...

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing - a program available on many platforms.
It's really good!
Cheers,
Bill Whedon

--
*===============================================================*
* Bill Whedon, Tektite, PO Box 34067, Lenexa KS 66214-6067 USA  *

Touch Typing (was Microsoft natural keyboard / Dvorak keyboard users)

Post by Patrick Horg » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Can any of the many touch typing programmers out there tell me if
>there is a program that I can use to learn touch typing. A DOS /
>Windows / UNIX program that will take me through the stages and rid me
>of my bad habits (like looking at the keyboard most of the time) would
>be great.

>Any pointers to QWERTY or Dvorak style typing tutors would be greatly
>appreciated.

You can't do better than Maevis Beacon Teaches Touch Typing.  It uses AI to analyze
your typeing as you go and create lessons on the fly for you.  They have tutorials,
games, drills, and yes they handle Dvorak too.  Available for PCs as a DOS or
Windows program, as well as for Macs, Amigas, and I'm sure others.  I recommend it
from personal use, and it always wins in head to head comparisons in computer mags.

Patrick

>Andrew.
>--

Patrick J. Horgan         Broadvision Inc.

Phone : (415)943-3677     Los Altos, CA 94022-1404   will ride.
FAX   : (415)934-3701  Opinions mine, not my employers except by coincidence.

Post by Peter Smit » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >Can any of the many touch typing programmers out there tell me if
> >there is a program that I can use to learn touch typing. A DOS /
> >Windows / UNIX program ..........

Ok, what about a Unix based typing tutor -> I could really use one of
those for my free minutes at work !!!

Thanks..

1. Conflict with Microsoft intelligent Mouse and Microsoft Natural Keyboard

I have Microsoft Intelligent Mouse(PS/2) and Microsoft Natural
Keyboard(PS/2). There are two PS/2 port on my ASUS P3B Motherboard. However,
I found that the two hardwares would be conflicted with each other and this
could lock up my linux system.
Does anyone know if I cannot use the two hardwares with same
interface(PS/2). There is no problem when I use mouse with com port.

2. Looking for programming language for my son

3. Microsoft Natural Keyboard problem

4. frontpage

5. Microsoft Natural Keyboard on a Sparc 5?

6. PPPD and Redhat 4.1 - doesn't work with digital phone lines?

7. Microsoft Natural Keyboard in X

8. Problems with DNS

9. Microsoft natural Keyboard

10. USB Microsoft Natural Keyboard

11. Microsoft Natural keyboard, 43P-140, AIX 4.3.3

12. MicroSoft Natural Keyboard -- Driver?

13. Microsoft Natural Keyboard and right-CTRL