See Summary! M-2 discussion only in comp.lang.modula2 THANKS.

See Summary! M-2 discussion only in comp.lang.modula2 THANKS.

Post by Brad Tapli » Sun, 15 Mar 1992 16:44:42

Hello. I included these four newsgroups because I consider them
likely bastions of experience and intelligence and because each
might have a certain passing interest. Forgive the oddity of it.
Please post discussions relevant to M2 to the M2 newsgroup, and
PLEASE do NOT discuss things unrelated to Modula-2 therein. :)

You have seen the movie? Could Modula-2 be used to design HAL?
Remember that this would involve remarkable progress in systems
design, robotics, and realtime application of AI. It would also
certainly involve some fault-tolerance mechanisms and various
data management and communications advances, but those strike
me as considerably-less-daunting challenges to such a project.

Remember that niether I nor many of the readers of this silly
line are necessarily terribly familiar with Modula-2. I have
heard recently that Modula-2's more popular than C in Europe,
that it can provide very nicely for advanced OOP programming,
that it has been used extensively for embedded systems, that
it will run on most any platform, and that its strict typing
and other restraining features are conducive to huge projects
in which "creative coding" as C allows could spell disaster.
Above all, the modularity seems well-suited to the challenge.

Well?

See Summary! M-2 discussion only in comp.lang.modula2 THANKS.

Post by Josef Moelle » Fri, 20 Mar 1992 23:07:59

Quote:>Hello. I included these four newsgroups because I consider them
>likely bastions of experience and intelligence and because each
>might have a certain passing interest. Forgive the oddity of it.
>Please post discussions relevant to M2 to the M2 newsgroup, and
>PLEASE do NOT discuss things unrelated to Modula-2 therein. :)
>You have seen the movie? Could Modula-2 be used to design HAL?
>Remember that this would involve remarkable progress in systems
>design, robotics, and realtime application of AI. It would also
>certainly involve some fault-tolerance mechanisms and various
>data management and communications advances, but those strike
>me as considerably-less-daunting challenges to such a project.

In theory ... yes.
It can be proven that, apart from some languages, all languages are
created equal, i.e. a problem that can be coded in one language can also
be coded in any other language, albeit with varying degrees of
difficulties and (probably) performance.

The other question is, whether anything like HAL can be programmed at
all. If You read e.g. Hofstaedters (sp?) book "Goedel Escher Bach", he
comes to the conclusion that real intelligence cannot be programmed but
has to be learned. Therefore all You probably need is a "small" kernel
to manage the information and a HUGE information base.

But then ... I might be all wrong.
--
| Josef Moellers                | c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG  |

1. comp.unix.wizards comp.lang.c comp.sys.sun alt.unix.wizards alt.unix.wizards.free

Has anyone seen this type of error on the following platform and the Sun C
Compiler ??  The C program in question returns an integer from main and core
dumps with the error message below.  We replaced the return with an exit and
the error disappeared.  We ran the program in the debugger with check -all
and it gets a segmentation fault on the return statement.

Platform: SunOS oscar 5.4 Generic_101945-36 sun4d sparc

reading symbolic information for prdbc301
core file header read successfully
core file read error: address 0xdf7f1de0 not in data space
error while reading shared library list
program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address)
(debugger)

PLEASE SEND me e-mail instead of posting back an answer.

Thanx in advance,

Julie M. Kalman

2. Ncurses version check

3. comp.lang.c++ "try comp.unix.solaris" Polling stdin

4. Looking for nroff for Linux

5. comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc,comp.lang.java.databases,comp.os.parix,comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.soft-sys.shazam

6. SSL accelerator card, Linux kernel 2.4+ and apache 2.0+

7. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

8. USB harddisk - how to get more out of it

9. comp.sys.hp comp.sys.sgi comp.sys.sun comp.unix.ultrix comp.unix.wizards

10. Real-time patent problem discussion summary

11. Shutdown discussion summary

12. news.admin.net-abuse.misc,comp.sys.mac.oop.tcl,comp.databases.informix,comp.lang.vhdl,comp.os.linux.networking

13. FAQ: comp.lang.awk: pointer