Problem while using the debugger - Help

Post by Pradeep K Tapadi » Sat, 21 Aug 1993 01:45:04

Howdy netters,

While debugging, when I step through a program, the de* takes
me to a no-man's land on library function calls. For example, suppose
I am about to execute this line

10.   InFile = fopen("temp.dat", "w");

When I enter "step", instead of going to line 11, the de* takes me
to a line which says

0x23456   __DTOR_END__

On the next step, my program receives a signal 11 (segmentation), and
crashes.

Things work fine if I use a combination of "break points" and "continues",
and just not use "step" at all.

Can someone please tell me what the problem is and how can I correct it?
Is it that the files containing code for library functions (fopen, etc)
have been compiled with partial debugging info in them?

The machine is a spark station running Solaris. I use gcc/gdb for my
purpose.

Thank you for your help.

Pradeep

1. Using the debugger in Linux- HELP!

Hi Folks,

I have some questions about debugging in Linux.  I have been using the
"xcdb" debbuger from IBM on AIX.  My first attempt with xxgdb was a disaster.
I could not even attach the debbuger to the src file.  Is there some documentation
that I could read on the debugger (either xxgdb or any other avaliable under linux).

I am mainly interested in the kernel src tree.  So any tips on how to step through
kernel src would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Aamer

2. wu-ftpd u/d ratio

3. Problem with opaque data type (using debugger) under c++ on Digital Unix

4. Netscape 4.7 doesn't play nice

5. Problems with Proworks Debugger(dbx) Help!! Help!!

6. Old twm Problem still in R6: Can't rlogin!!

7. Press Ctrl-D whiling inputting

8. upgrade to glibc2 produces undefined symbols

9. Which debugger is window debugger?

10. Help..XDB debugger problems

11. Debugging using Data Display Debugger

12. Using debugger to print vars in HEX. How?

13. Using VisualAge C++ debugger with xlC compiler