How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

Post by Robert Chalmer » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Is there any easy way of telling what speed I am connected at, on the link
from my FreeBSD box to the ISP?

Thanks
Robert

Post by Anthony Jenkin » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Is there any easy way of telling what speed I am connected at, on the link
> from my FreeBSD box to the ISP?

> Thanks
> Robert

I did a small script to do this; search Dejanews for it.  Crap... someone
recently emailed me an improved version of the script but I just did spring
cleaning in my mail folders and apparently deleted it by accident  Could he
repost to the newsgroup?  TIA.

(My script basically just ran from /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup and uses awk on
/var/log/ppp.log to search for "CONNECT" and picks the last of these lines
& prints to /dev/console.  The modem obviously should be initialized to
report the connection speed.)

--
Anthony Jenkins
aka Scoobi_FreeBSD at http://chat.yahoo.com , Computer sections

How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

Post by Nicolas Blai » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Could you repost the script please?

Thanks, Nicolas Blais

> > Is there any easy way of telling what speed I am connected at, on the link
> > from my FreeBSD box to the ISP?

> > Thanks
> > Robert

> I did a small script to do this; search Dejanews for it.  Crap... someone
> recently emailed me an improved version of the script but I just did spring
> cleaning in my mail folders and apparently deleted it by accident  Could he
> repost to the newsgroup?  TIA.

> (My script basically just ran from /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup and uses awk on
> /var/log/ppp.log to search for "CONNECT" and picks the last of these lines
> & prints to /dev/console.  The modem obviously should be initialized to
> report the connection speed.)

> --
> Anthony Jenkins
> aka Scoobi_FreeBSD at http://chat.yahoo.com , Computer sections
> http://www.auburn.edu/~jenkian
> ------
> Doh - Homer Simpson

How do I tell what speed I am connected at?

Post by Anthony Jenkin » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

/etc/ppp:{ajenkins}(121) more printconnspeed
#!/bin/sh
echo -n "Connecting at " > /dev/console
echo -n `awk '/CONNECT [0-9]+/ {print $9}' /var/log/ppp.log | tr -d "^M" | tail
-n 1`  >/dev/console
echo " bps..." > /dev/console