Open Sound System questions/problems

Post by David Mye » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm wondering how many people were experiencing problems with OSS...  I
recently upgraded to 3.8o (the latest) from 3.8b.  Under 3.8b, I noticed my
system (2.2.1) was unstable under, of all things, NFS operations.  Machine
would spontaneously reboot under heavy NFS load.  Never really bothered to
track down the problem, because I rarely do that much NFS stuff.  But I did
associate it with OSS, since the onset of these problems was coincident
with installing OSS.  Since upgrading to 3.8o, things at first blush appear
to be a lot more stable.

Questions: How likely is it that something like OSS would be the culprit?
Could a buggy kernel sound module cause spurious problems under NFS?  Was I
running into a known bug?  Have other people had similar experiences?

Mostly just curious.  In general, I like OSS, and 4Front seems prompt about
upgrading.

-David.

Post by Bryan K. Ogaw » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I'm wondering how many people were experiencing problems with OSS...  I
>recently upgraded to 3.8o (the latest) from 3.8b.  Under 3.8b, I noticed my
>system (2.2.1) was unstable under, of all things, NFS operations.  Machine
>would spontaneously reboot under heavy NFS load.  Never really bothered to
>track down the problem, because I rarely do that much NFS stuff.  But I did
>associate it with OSS, since the onset of these problems was coincident
>with installing OSS.  Since upgrading to 3.8o, things at first blush appear
>to be a lot more stable.

I have had what may be an analagous experience with OSS + X +
netscape.  I can't prove it is any of the above, but I think it has to
do with the number of interrupts arriving from things.

I improved my stability by adding swap on a second drive (which may
speed up X's interrupt processing because I can page faster), and by
adding PnP support for my sound card directly to the kernel (instead
of using the PnP support in OSS).

This is all very nebulous, since I have had problems without OSS, too,
and since I can't isolate either a root cause or an utterly reliable
way to duplicate the problem, I can't really say for sure.

Quote:>Questions: How likely is it that something like OSS would be the culprit?

--

1. problems with open sound system

Hi, I just downloaded the oss/linux trial to see
if it would work with my soundcard (ensoniq soundscape vivo).
The soundconf installs the card ( manually only -  the PnP
recognizes the card as two a soundscape generic and a ultra gravis),
and soundon installs the modules, but still can't play any sound.
must programs does not recognize the devices while others simply
don't play any sound. I tried and delete all sound devices
( /dev/midi* /dev/audio* /dev/dsp* /dev/mixe* /dev/music* ..)
ad reinstall the sound module without luck... soundon recreates
all the above but still can't play anything. Any help would be
appreciated.
Thanks

j.m.

2. Performance monitoring tools

3. Open Sound System for Solaris x86

4. More troubles remotely printing binary files

5. ANNOUNCING: Open Sound System for Solaris/x86B

6. Newbee attempting to establish UUCP services

7. open sound system

8. Xwindows and mouse problem

9. ANNOUNCE: Open Sound System for FreeSCO special offer!

10. ANNOUCING: Open Sound System v3.8

11. : Open Sound System 3.9.6 for Linux

12. ANNOUNCE: Open Sound System for Tru64 announced

13. COMMERCIAL: Open Sound System for AlphaLinux.