problems with multi-boot (NT4/win95/FBSD3.1

problems with multi-boot (NT4/win95/FBSD3.1

Post by QuikSilv » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Help!!  I cannot boot FBSD using the FBSD boot manager.

My system:
Aopen m/b, Adaptec AHA2940,1x 8.4GB EIDE,1x 2GB SCSI,1x 5GB SCSI -

Disks partitioned as follows:
EIDE HDD: 500MB FAT16 (so I can dual boot), rest of the disk is FAT32
(win 95)
2GB SCSI: NTFS (NT4)
5GB SCSI: FreeBSD 3.1 (NOT dangerously dedicated, but I did use
defaults for root,swap,tmp,var and usr)

I get the following from the boot menu:
F1 DOS - boots fine between NT and 95 (NT boot loader)
F5 Disk1 - goes to another menu

F1 FreeBSD - beep
F5 Disk2 - another menu to which I press F5 (twice) and get the
original menu

I bought 'The Complete FreeBSD'(4CD set + Book) from Walnut Creek and
there's nothing in the book (that I can find) that is any help, and I
have looked around on the 'net (nothing there) and even tried searching
deja.com (nothing there either)

If anyone can come across this problem before or knows how to fix it I
would be most grateful.
--
Sometimes I sit looking at my screen wondering at
what technology hath wrought and other times I

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

problems with multi-boot (NT4/win95/FBSD3.1

Post by Ying Kwang T » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

have you consider using the NT boot loader?  it is easier to manage
and allow more meaning full titles compare to F1 FreeBSd F2 DOS.

my 2 cents,
  ying kwang

> Help!!  I cannot boot FBSD using the FBSD boot manager.

> My system:
> Aopen m/b, Adaptec AHA2940,1x 8.4GB EIDE,1x 2GB SCSI,1x 5GB SCSI -

> Disks partitioned as follows:
> EIDE HDD: 500MB FAT16 (so I can dual boot), rest of the disk is FAT32
> (win 95)
> 2GB SCSI: NTFS (NT4)
> 5GB SCSI: FreeBSD 3.1 (NOT dangerously dedicated, but I did use
> defaults for root,swap,tmp,var and usr)

> I get the following from the boot menu:
> F1 DOS - boots fine between NT and 95 (NT boot loader)
> F5 Disk1 - goes to another menu

> F1 FreeBSD - beep
> F5 Disk2 - another menu to which I press F5 (twice) and get the
> original menu

> I bought 'The Complete FreeBSD'(4CD set + Book) from Walnut Creek and
> there's nothing in the book (that I can find) that is any help, and I
> have looked around on the 'net (nothing there) and even tried searching
> deja.com (nothing there either)

> If anyone can come across this problem before or knows how to fix it I
> would be most grateful.
> --
> Sometimes I sit looking at my screen wondering at
> what technology hath wrought and other times I
> look and think "those have *got* to be fake"

problems with multi-boot (NT4/win95/FBSD3.1

Post by Ted Gamro » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Install 95 then NT, then FreeBSD.

> have you consider using the NT boot loader?  it is easier to manage
> and allow more meaning full titles compare to F1 FreeBSd F2 DOS.

> my 2 cents,
>   ying kwang

> > Help!!  I cannot boot FBSD using the FBSD boot manager.

> > My system:
> > Aopen m/b, Adaptec AHA2940,1x 8.4GB EIDE,1x 2GB SCSI,1x 5GB SCSI -

> > Disks partitioned as follows:
> > EIDE HDD: 500MB FAT16 (so I can dual boot), rest of the disk is FAT32
> > (win 95)
> > 2GB SCSI: NTFS (NT4)
> > 5GB SCSI: FreeBSD 3.1 (NOT dangerously dedicated, but I did use
> > defaults for root,swap,tmp,var and usr)

> > I get the following from the boot menu:
> > F1 DOS - boots fine between NT and 95 (NT boot loader)
> > F5 Disk1 - goes to another menu

> > F1 FreeBSD - beep
> > F5 Disk2 - another menu to which I press F5 (twice) and get the
> > original menu

> > I bought 'The Complete FreeBSD'(4CD set + Book) from Walnut Creek and
> > there's nothing in the book (that I can find) that is any help, and I
> > have looked around on the 'net (nothing there) and even tried searching
> > deja.com (nothing there either)

> > If anyone can come across this problem before or knows how to fix it I
> > would be most grateful.
> > --
> > Sometimes I sit looking at my screen wondering at
> > what technology hath wrought and other times I
> > look and think "those have *got* to be fake"

1. Win95 boot problems on multi-boot LILO system

Hi,

Can anyone help. I have a coumputer that has LILO set up on it to boot
Linux or Win95. (hda0- LINUX swap, hda1 - Win95, sda1 - linux). The
system was working until now when I tried to boot into win95 and nothing
happened (freeze). I can mount and work with the Win95 filesystem from
Linux without a problem.

Fdisk from linux says the system is FAT16 >32MB, but when booting from
Win95 floppy disk I can not see the C: drive (can change drive, but it
will not be able to read anything from it). FDISK from DOS says the
partition is OK (C:) but is an UNKNOWN type.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Better yet, to fix it without
re-installing the system?

Thanks

Peter

2. change openboot frequency on Sun10+GX

3. strange multi-boot problem: grub, win ME, NT4, Red Hat 7.2

4. Scanning SCSI Bus...

5. Multi-boot 95, 98, NT4 & Linux on separate partitions???

6. web mail server

7. How to multi-boot (NT4, Win98 & RHat6.1)

8. Tandberg MiniPanther 4600 and Linux?

9. HELP: Multi-boot Win NT Server Win95 and Linux

10. Multi-Boot Solaris 2.5 x86 & Win95?

11. Recommendations for Linux/Win95/NT/OS2/Solaris/FreeBSD multi-boot setup

12. +Solaris +Linux +win95 multi-boot