(jdk-1.3.1p6_4 ) Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment

(jdk-1.3.1p6_4 ) Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment

Post by david casp » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:54:37

hi, i've downloaded the latest port of Java 2 for FreeBSD
(jdk-1.3.1p6_4), which, according to the pkg-descr:
"This port allows you to easily build a native JDK1.3.1 for FreeBSD."

i also manually fetched the source code and patchset and did a make
install clean.

it seemed that everything built successfully, no errors and the jdk
was registered successfully into the pkg db.

i had to subsequently set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get java/javac to stop
complaining about dependent so's, but now i can't seem to get past the
"Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment" message, which
seems like an easy thing, setting of an env var/path issue, etc.  yet
nothing i try seems to work, nor can i find any documentation speaking
of this either in the port descriptions or from the www.eyesbeyond.com
site.

also, it tried to find classes.zip and it seemed to not exist anywhere
in my entire filesystem, this sounds to be integral to my problem (or
is classes.zip moved to something else these days (i haven't used Java
in a while)?)  is there anything else i'm supposed to do besides make
install the port?  are there post make install steps?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thnx,
David C.

Post by david casp » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:35:22

> hi, i've downloaded the latest port of Java 2 for FreeBSD
> (jdk-1.3.1p6_4), which, according to the pkg-descr:
> "This port allows you to easily build a native JDK1.3.1 for FreeBSD."

> i also manually fetched the source code and patchset and did a make
> install clean.

> it seemed that everything built successfully, no errors and the jdk
> was registered successfully into the pkg db.

> i had to subsequently set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get java/javac to stop

                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ok, i've since been informed that i should never have had to do this
explicity, so now it really sounds like a plain old, simple locating
issue

Quote:> complaining about dependent so's, but now i can't seem to get past the
> "Error: could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment" message, which
> seems like an easy thing, setting of an env var/path issue, etc.  yet
> nothing i try seems to work, nor can i find any documentation speaking
> of this either in the port descriptions or from the www.eyesbeyond.com
> site.

> also, it tried to find classes.zip and it seemed to not exist anywhere

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
oops! i meant to type "i tried to find"

Quote:> in my entire filesystem, this sounds to be integral to my problem (or
> is classes.zip moved to something else these days (i haven't used Java

     ^^^^^^^^^^^
i've been informed that there's no classes.zip, just rt.jar

Quote:> in a while)?)  is there anything else i'm supposed to do besides make
> install the port?  are there post make install steps?

anyway, i'll give it a go again, now knowing about rt.jar and the fact
that the wrapper script should have made it uneccessary for me to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to track this
down, if i do i'll post it back here cause i can't be the only one who
simply typed 'make install' and jumped straight to trying to execute
java/javac.

in the meantime, if anyone's been down this road already, please let
me know :)

thnx,
David C.

1. No Java Runtime Environment was Found ??

Hi,
   When I install StarOffice51 I get the message during install
that there is no Java runtime environment which can be used by
SO.  Java seems to be there as seen through Netscape so I'm not
sure what the complaint is.  Any suggestions what I have to add?
David Kirkpatrick
Marlborough, MA
--

2. DVD Burning on Ultra 5

3. Help: Runtime error - library not found!

4. pppattachd question

5. Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for Solaris 2.5.1

6. SunOS crash with no coredump

7. Java Runtime Environment in package format

8. Mosaic on Linux

9. java runtime environment

10. Killing one java runtime daemon, and cannot find which one

11. Where can find Java runtime for solaris 2.5.1

12. Upgraded port: Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 for Linux (java/linux-jdk)

13. Swing 1.1 differences between jdk-1.1 and jdk-1.2