Newbie to freebsd?

Post by Franci » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have successfully installed various distros of Linux (Redhat,
Slackware, Debian, and Mandrake) on my second hard drive. Have had good
results with Linux.
I want to try freebsd and wonder if I would have any trouble or
surprises removing Linux and installing freebsd on the hard drive?
Thanks.

Newbie to freebsd?

Post by Rob Tolma » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I don't think it should be a problem at all, give it a try, it can't hurt
anything.

Rob

Quote:> I have successfully installed various distros of Linux (Redhat,
> Slackware, Debian, and Mandrake) on my second hard drive. Have had good
> results with Linux.
> I want to try freebsd and wonder if I would have any trouble or
> surprises removing Linux and installing freebsd on the hard drive?
> Thanks.

Newbie to freebsd?

Post by loop » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have successfully installed various distros of Linux (Redhat,
> Slackware, Debian, and Mandrake) on my second hard drive. Have had good
> results with Linux.
> I want to try freebsd and wonder if I would have any trouble or
> surprises removing Linux and installing freebsd on the hard drive?
> Thanks.

I'm more open than free-bsd, you might wanna read at least the openbsd
faq and the migrating from linux section, but I suspect the freebsd has
something alike.

Mostly commands, network and alike like route, ifconfig and brconfig
don't show the setting when invoked without parameters, you gotta give
em -a

--
I'm back again, this time Microsoft-free... Solaris kicks ass!!
l00p at beer / 44801625

Newbie to freebsd?

Post by Ian Pulsfor » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I found it pleasingly easy.

IanP

> I have successfully installed various distros of Linux (Redhat,
> Slackware, Debian, and Mandrake) on my second hard drive. Have had good
> results with Linux.
> I want to try freebsd and wonder if I would have any trouble or
> surprises removing Linux and installing freebsd on the hard drive?
> Thanks.

Newbie to freebsd?

Post by Brett Castleberr » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Absolutely.  If you have the right hardware, it's easier than Linux.

--
Brett G. Castleberry

Tallahassee, Florida