cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

Post by Michael Scheidel » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:50:14

just curious... I was not aware that an unmoderated 'big 8' usenet group
could be retromoderated due to 'unverified' email address

Something changeon usenet in the last few months that I didn't hear about?

many of us 'mung' our email addresses to prevent 'spammers' from
harvesting them.

to... only messes up the really stupid spammers)

it doesn't look like 'spam' was an issue, not crossposted,and the subject
seems to indicate that it might be even on topic for the freebsd group.

d.jaring.my!
news7.jaring.my!*spam!not-for-mail

>Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
>Subject: Re: NetMeeting and FreeBSD Gateway Server

>Date: 23 Jan 2001 19:46:12 +0800

>Reason: Invalid or unverified email address

cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

Post by Andrew Gierth {not a hipclone » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:53:27

 Michael> just curious... I was not aware that an unmoderated 'big 8'
 Michael> usenet group could be retromoderated due to 'unverified'
 Michael> email address

it can't. But if you look at the original article, you'll find that it
was posted from jaring.my, and as always the admin of a site is free to
cancel posts originating from that site for any reason.

Jaring have had this policy for a long time (four or five years at
least); they cancel anything posted by their users unless the From
address matches what they expect.

--
Andrew.

"I believe we've been over this before.  There isn't need for any sort
 of security feature unless some * wants to make a nuisance of
 himself."  Matt (ARPAVAX:glickman) in net.rumor, Dec 1981

cancels in 'big8 ' for 'munged' email addresses?

Post by Peter Alfredse » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:18:17

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:50:14 -0500, "Michael Scheidell"

>just curious... I was not aware that an unmoderated 'big 8' usenet group
>could be retromoderated due to 'unverified' email address

In this case, it's because of some administrative rules on the
USENET site, from where the post originates. The jaring.my
administrator has been doing this for years. He even shows up in
the cancel reports:
|Cancel statistics for 22 Jan 2001
|
|Total number of cancels examined: 46340
|
|Properly formatted spam-cancels: 40360  (38517 trusted)

[...]

[..]

It's called an administrative cancel, and is fully "legal" in the
sense of the word that applies to USENET.

--

"We reject kings, presidents and voting.| address indicates where it is. A
 We believe in rough consensus and      | route indicates how we get there."

Post by Dinesh Nai » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:16:49

> it doesn't look like 'spam' was an issue, not crossposted,and the subject
> seems to indicate that itmight be 'on topic' for the freebsd group.

unfortunately, malaysia's isp, jaring has a "safety" feature in that your
dialin username (and given isp email addy) has to match the From: line of
your usenet posting if you post thru the isp's newsservers. however,
alternative email addresses are allowable if registered with said isp. i
was in the process of doing that, when i thought i'd take advantage of the
time lag between cancel issues. :)

[this post should go thru, as i have dialled in using my username]

--
Regards,                           /\_/\   "All dogs go to heaven."

+==========================----oOO--(_)--OOo----============================+
| for a in past present future; do                                          |
|   for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do     |
|   echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b."    |
| done; done                                                                |
+===========================================================================+
   http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/htbin/pks-extract-key.pl?op=get&search=0x230096E9

1. What're '!'and'%' in email address

        I get 'xtiff.tar.z' from mirrors site , but I found bug in it and
I want to contact with owner of packages. His email are :

        I mail messages to him several times but he's very quite.
If anyone have a way to contact him please mail to me.

        Another problem : I want to contact someone by email but
his email address consists of symbol '%' or '!' that when I send
mail to him then the mail return to me because unknown user host.
Mail address is wrong , or I send it wrong method.

                                Thanks.

2. AIX 3.2 disk upgrade?

3. What is '%'and'!' in email address

4. Building news server

5. Is different 'Ethenet address' from 'Mac Address' ?

6. Customizing Menu in XFree86 3.2

8. Linux can't find the modem

9. Email: Difference between 'sender' and 'from'?

10. How to email from internet site to 'uucp' and 'bitnet' ?

11. sendmail: Rewriting 'from' and 'reply-to' addresses...

12. Will changing IP address affect 'rlogin'/'telnet'?

13. How to implement '.' in email addresses?