ncr vs. sym driver for 53c875 SCSI controller

ncr vs. sym driver for 53c875 SCSI controller

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

For a Tekram DC390F SCSI controller with a 53c875, what
differences, if any, are there between using the ncr and
the sym drivers?

ncr vs. sym driver for 53c875 SCSI controller

Post by Anders Nordb » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> For a Tekram DC390F SCSI controller with a 53c875, what
> differences, if any, are there between using the ncr and
> the sym drivers?

AFAIK the ncr driver isn't maintained much anymore, you should switch to
sym. The ncr driver needs a kerlen option to go 80 MB/sec on U2W
controllers from Tekram.

--
Anders.

1. NCR 53c810 SCSI controller and the new 'sym' driver

I have not been able to use the latest 'sym' driver with my 53c810
under FreeBSD 4.5, which is not that big of a deal, cause the 'ncr'
driver works just fine.

The problem comes when I do a fresh install of the newer FreeBSD. I
believe, after 4.4 (or somewhere around then), FreeBSD began to use
the new 'sym' driver, which fails during boot (using kern and mfsroot
floppies) and thus doesn't give me any HDs...

I have been able to use older pre-4.4R boot floppies, changing the
release version in the "options" to whatever I wanted and then doing
an FTP install.

Two questions:

1. am I ending up with some pre4.4 bits on my newly installed system
by using old boot floppies?

2. Is there a way to modify my brand new 4.6R boot floppies to force
them to use the old 'ncr' driver at boot time (without recompiling a
custom 4.6R kernel for those floppies, which would require a working
4.6R system, which I don't have)?

Thank you all in advance.

2. Looking for Printer Drivers

3. NCR 53C710 & NCR 53C94 SCSI controller

4. Problem with Shared Libraries (TOOLS not compiling)

5. Help on SCSI Controller Adaptec vs. NCR

6. New 2.6 Root login

7. Linux / Compaq ProSignia VS / NCR 53c710 embedded SCSI controller

8. help with speakfreely on rh5.1(no tixwish)?

9. Does ncr 53c875 scsi work with Solaris 7 for x86?

10. Install OpenServer Release 5 on NCR 53c875 UW-SCSI PC

11. Panic on NCR 53C875 SCSI on Beige G3

12. NCR 53C875 SCSI adaptator

13. SCSI: ASUS SC875 (NCR 53C875)