updating to perl 5.8 via ports

Post by A. Sinan Unu » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:01:10

Hello:

Please excuse the newbie question.

I just built and installed perl 5.8 via ports. It was isntalled under
/usr/local. Now I have two versions of perl (the one that was installed
when I first installed the OS, perl 5.005_03 lives under /usr).

What do I do with the earlier version? This is an older Pentium with not a
whole lot of disk space, so I would rather not live with two versions. Is
it safe for me to delete the files for the old distribution?

Sinan.
--
A. Sinan Unur

Remove dashes for address

Post by Peter W » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:03:07

> I just built and installed perl 5.8 via ports. It was isntalled under
> /usr/local. Now I have two versions of perl (the one that was installed
> when I first installed the OS, perl 5.005_03 lives under /usr).

> What do I do with the earlier version? This is an older Pentium with
> not a whole lot of disk space, so I would rather not live with two
> versions. Is it safe for me to delete the files for the old
> distribution?

You can switch the new and old perl by using:

use.perl port         # use new perl
use.perl system     # use old perl

--
Cheers, Peter

Post by A. Sinan Unu » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:34:37

>> I just built and installed perl 5.8 via ports.

Quote:>> versions. Is it safe for me to delete the files for the old
>> distribution?

> You can switch the new and old perl by using:

> use.perl port         # use new perl
> use.perl system     # use old perl

Thank you. I have done that. I was wondering if it is acceptable to
delete files for the system version, or should I keep it around just in
case?

Sinan.

--
A. Sinan Unur

Remove dashes for address

Post by Brent Bol » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:34:03

> > I just built and installed perl 5.8 via ports. It was isntalled under
> > /usr/local. Now I have two versions of perl (the one that was installed
> > when I first installed the OS, perl 5.005_03 lives under /usr).

> > What do I do with the earlier version? This is an older Pentium with
> > not a whole lot of disk space, so I would rather not live with two
> > versions. Is it safe for me to delete the files for the old
> > distribution?

> You can switch the new and old perl by using:

> use.perl port         # use new perl
> use.perl system     # use old perl

Hi all,

Does anybody know if using perl in the ports collection breaks things?.

For example Spamassassin

Cheers...btb

Post by Rob MacGrego » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 03:49:05

> Does anybody know if using perl in the ports collection breaks things?.

> For example Spamassassin

Which perl, 5.8 or 5.6?  I'm using 5.6 and it's fine.  Can't speak for 5.8.

The nice thing is that if it does break things you can switch back quickly.

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

updating to perl 5.8 via ports

Post by Strider9 » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 21:37:37

How do you switch between versions?

Jess

Post by casav.. » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:10:11

> How do you switch between versions?

> Jess

> > > Does anybody know if using perl in the ports collection breaks things?.

> > > For example Spamassassin

> > Which perl, 5.8 or 5.6?  I'm using 5.6 and it's fine.  Can't speak for
> 5.8.

> > The nice thing is that if it does break things you can switch back
> quickly.

> > --
> >   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
> >       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

as root..
use.perl port
use.perl system

Post by Brent Bol » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:13:10

> > How do you switch between versions?

> > Jess

> > > Which perl, 5.8 or 5.6?  I'm using 5.6 and it's fine.  Can't speak for
>  5.8.

> > > The nice thing is that if it does break things you can switch back
>  quickly.

> > > --
> > >   Rob MacGregor (MCSE)        Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!
> > >       The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

> as root..
> use.perl port
> use.perl system

Hi all,

I have installed the ports version of perl 5.6.1

Things appear to be working fine.

What is the best way to keep the ports version installed when doing cvsup's

Should I some how exclude it from cvsup and buildworld or just do as above

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5
use.perl port

After the buildworld is done.

Cheers...btb

Post by Rainer Duffn » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:40:58

> What is the best way to keep the ports version installed when doing cvsup's

> Should I some how exclude it from cvsup and buildworld or just do as above

Take a look at the variables in /etc/default/make.conf

and add the one that does the trick (NOPERL=true) to /etc/make.conf.

You can also leave out other stuff that you know will never need, like
i4b, if you don't have ISDN, lpr if you use CUPS etc.

Rainer

Post by Brent Bol » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 04:16:45

> > What is the best way to keep the ports version installed when doing cvsup's

> > Should I some how exclude it from cvsup and buildworld or just do as above

> Take a look at the variables in /etc/default/make.conf

> and add the one that does the trick (NOPERL=true) to /etc/make.conf.

> You can also leave out other stuff that you know will never need, like
> i4b, if you don't have ISDN, lpr if you use CUPS etc.

> Rainer

Interesting.  I didn't make these changes I assume

usr.perl port

Did.  Will see what happens on the next cvsup

# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Sun Feb 16 13:23:23 2003
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

Thanks

1. Ports Perl 5.6 and 5.8 don't play nicely together

I tried installing Perl 5.8 from the ports tree but other ports that
depend on Perl tries to install 5.6 instead.

And Perl 5.8 and 5.6 don't play nicely with each other: one port clobbers
each other (i.e. installing Perl 5.6 over Perl 5.8 will overwrite the perl
binary, manual pages, etc.).  Looking at the pkg_info will show both Perl
5.6 and 5.8 to be installed.

Is there a way to have the packages use Perl 5.8 instead of 5.6?  I
suppose I can install Perl 5.6 and install Perl 5.8 to clobber all the
files and still have Perl 5.6 listed as installed but I'd prefer something
a little more elegant if possible.

2. Red Hat 6.0 && init messages && new kernel

3. Installing Perl 5.8

4. Token Ring - HELP!

5. Cannot install Perl 5.6.1 Solaris 8 SunOS 5.8

6. linux on asus dual pentium board

7. C++ Compilation problems on Solaris 5.8 (Forte C++ 6 Update 2) -- Iterator

8. posting

9. Updating Solaris 5.8 01/01 Sparc

10. Linking errors on SunOS 5.8 Sun WorkShop 6 update 1 Compilers C++

11. Problem with /bin/sh in Solaris 5.8 108528-12 update

12. Problem with /bin/sh in Solaris 5.8 108528-12 update (with sample output)

13. UPDATE: Compiling GTK/Perl with Perl 5.004 on Solaris