FTP installation

Post by Chris Caldwel » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Where can I find the files to create installation disks. I want to install
freebsd via ftp straight onto a computer and need the boot disks to get
started.

Thx,
Chris

FTP installation

Post by Dave » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Where can I find the files to create installation disks. I want to install
> freebsd via ftp straight onto a computer and need the boot disks to get
> started.

You can get the floppy images from
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/i386/3.4-RELEASE/floppies

You will need the files kern.flp and mfsroot.flp which you can put on floppy
disks using either dd (using unix) or rawrite (using dos/win).

You have to boot with kern.flp, after a while you will be asked to insert the
mfsroot floppy. If you need installation instructions, take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

Have fun!

Dave.

--

1. Installation aborts during FTP installation

What machine are you installing it on?  What sort of net connection?

If you can install an OS that you have on CD or floppy, then install
that and
run some disk checking program (like fsck or scan-disk) to make sure
that your HD isn't defective.

I've had ftp installs from a cable modem die on me a few times,
sometimes I think it might be gremlins :)
--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey

2. Using XF86_S3 kills my plain text mode

3. FTP installation from a Win98 FTP server

4. Wanted: tin binary

5. ftp server wu-ftp installation

6. Help with partitioning of new Solaris 8 disk

7. ftp server wu-ftp installation HELP!!!!!

8. How can I use rdump for taking multiple backups on single tape

9. OpenBSD 3.2 unattended ftp-installation

10. ftp installation

11. Help with NFS or FTP installation of Redhat Linux v5.0

12. FTP Installation Problem continues

13. FTP-installation with NE2000 or Digital DE200