FreeBSD for Dec Alpha 3000?

Post by Thilo von Troth » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hallo,

in the installation description of FreeBSD i found, that there is
a port for Dec Alpha 3000.

Can anyone tell me, what hardware requirements are needed and
how i install FreeBSD if there is no floppy disk at this
Dec Alpha 3000?

:-) Thilo

FreeBSD for Dec Alpha 3000?

Post by Gregory Bon » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> in the installation description of FreeBSD i found, that there is
> a port for Dec Alpha 3000.

> Can anyone tell me, what hardware requirements are needed and
> how i install FreeBSD if there is no floppy disk at this
> Dec Alpha 3000?

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/HARDWARE...
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT

FreeBSD for Dec Alpha 3000?

Post by Thilo von Troth » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > in the installation description of FreeBSD i found, that there is
> > a port for Dec Alpha 3000.

> > Can anyone tell me, what hardware requirements are needed and
> > how i install FreeBSD if there is no floppy disk at this
> > Dec Alpha 3000?

> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/HARDWARE...
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT

FreeBSD (and Linux, and Windows NT) only support PCI-bus Alphas.  The
3000 is a TurboChannel
model.  The operating systems you can use are:

OpenBSD
NetBSD
OpenVMS
Digital Unix (aka True64, aka OSF/1)
<End of the message>

On http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/alpha-osf-managers/pujulchy i found:

FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD will work, but they do not support any
TurboChannel expansion cards or the onboard graphics cards. You have to use
a serial/dumb-terminal console to use these operating systems.

So i ask for someone who has tried to installed FreeBSD 3.4 or 4.0 on a
DEC Alpha 3000

:-) Thilo

FreeBSD for Dec Alpha 3000?

Post by Wilko Bul » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> > in the installation description of FreeBSD i found, that there is
>> > a port for Dec Alpha 3000.

>> > Can anyone tell me, what hardware requirements are needed and
>> > how i install FreeBSD if there is no floppy disk at this
>> > Dec Alpha 3000?

>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/HARDWARE...
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/alpha/4.0-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT

>FreeBSD (and Linux, and Windows NT) only support PCI-bus Alphas.  The
>3000 is a TurboChannel

Which is nonsense.

Quote:>On http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/alpha-osf-managers/pujulchy i found:
>FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD will work, but they do not support any
>TurboChannel expansion cards or the onboard graphics cards. You have to use

                ^^^^^

Quote:>a serial/dumb-terminal console to use these operating systems.
>So i ask for someone who has tried to installed FreeBSD 3.4 or 4.0 on a
>DEC Alpha 3000

Biggest problem is you will have to run them diskless as the SCSI driver for
the TC machines was never ported to the CAM subsystem.

--
Wilko Bulte             http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"