Can't get mouse pointer in text mode

Post by Craig Masse » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Definitely a newbie wrestling with his first FreeBSD install on recycled
cast-offs from work. However I couldn't get a mouse to work during the
install process. I'd try a port and type combination and setup would ask me
if the pointer moved when I moved the mouse, at which point I'd tell teh
machine with some vehemence that I couldn't even see a pointer. After I
tried a lot of mice on practically every orifice the machine posseses, I
told the install not to worry about it and started working on the command
line from the man pages.

I can get moused to recognize a mose on the ps2 port, based on being told it
is a sysmouse when I type;
moused -p /dev/psm0 -i type

However when I try and turn the mouse pointer on by typing;
vidcontrol -m on
, a pointer flashes on the screen very quickly, then disappears. I have to
go;
vidcontrol -m off

before "vidcontrol -m on" will reproduce the subliminal pointer effect, so
something thinks the pointer is working

I had another mouse working on one of the serial ports when I was thrashing
around with redhat linux (don't hit me, I hadn't heard of FreeBSD then, I'm
learning!) and I can't get that to go at all now. I could get anything
working on any port when I installed win95 on it ages ago, so the hardware
all works.

My conclusion is that I'm missing a concept somewhere. Help and/or pointers
to a refernce source that covers this greatly appreciated.

Thaen I can start asking dumb questions about an error my geriatric 1542B
SCSI card keeps throwing when I tell the kernel config I have one.

1. Mode gets screwed up going back to text mode

I'm using Xfree 2.0 with the Mach32 driver.  I have problems switching from
the X session to the text session (via the ALT-Fx keys).  It works sometimes,
but typically after I log out of an X session, the screen blinks back to what
looks like text mode and the back to the login screen.  That's not that
annoying, but when I switch to one of the consoles (ALT-F1 for example),
I seem to be stuck in a wierd graphics mode, but I can see little blocks
move around.  I'm assuming that those blocks are the text, but the card
is not reset.  Is there a patch or something I have to change to make
the card go to text mode when it is supposed to?  I don't have the Xconfig
file handy, but I just used the standard VESA timings and the suggested
clocks in the modeDB.txt file.  Other than this problem, X works wonderfully.

Pat

2. What Dedicated Internet Services Do Folks Here Use?

3. Getting Graphic Mode and Text Mode during Startup

4. emacs & Linux swap space

5. PS/2 Mouse in Text Mode; X won't start

6. cdrom TMC-855 drivers

7. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

8. HELP: Solaris 7 network configuration

9. Text Mode gets confused

10. Getting rid of mouse pointer - touchscreen

11. Text mode display gets weird after X sessions (ct65550 - Toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDS)

12. Getting more lines in text mode