VLB IDE/floppy/2S/P card recommendation

Post by Con Sultan » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have a Promise Tech. VLB card with ide, floppy, game, serial, and
parallel ports.  I have had to tweak it in the past to get it to work
with FreeBSD.  I have also heard many horror stories from others with
these cards.  I have tried to defend it, since I was able to get it to
work when I had problems with it.

Well, Now I added an ISA card with 2 more serial ports, and 2 parallel
ports, and another useless game port.  I need the second Parallel port,
and will need the serial in the near future.  I was able to get the
serial ports to work after a little customizing of the kernel.  I played
with the parallel ports until two hours had gone by with no luck.  The
kernel would recognize the port, and if I booted to DOS, both printers
worked just fine.  Any time I  sent a job to the new parallel port,
FreeBSD paniced and rebooted the machine.  It would then reboot upon
starting the printd every time!  I finally figured out what was
happening, and got it to start long enough to remove the job from the
queue.  I played around with the kernel parameters and the hardware
addresses trying to find a combo that worked.  None of the combos seemed
to work.

I still need that second port, so I am thinking about trying a new VLB
card.  Anybody have a good CHEAP recommendation?

--

Sysop - Home Brew University BBS   Brew City Campus       414-238-9074
Genealogy Search:  Brickner, Kane, Kimbro, LaClaire, Snyder|Snider,

1. ISA/VLB video card recommendations?

Hi,

I'm looking to upgade my video card from a Compaq CPQ1024i to something
that will run X and Win95 rather better than this ancient thing can.

My motherboard is of no-name far-east manufacture, and (rather worryingly)
says in its manual that "VLB is a very new specification, and not all VLB
cards will work" - oops! But - I'm prepared to give a VLB card a bash as
long as I can get it on a "works or return" basis.

So - if anyone could recommend a decent ISA or VLB card that's fairly easily
obtainable in the UK, that runs X at a decent speed and high resolution, I
would be a happy man.

Please reply via e-mail, I'll summarise here if there's enough interest.

cheers, Si

2. Menus doesn't work. Why?

3. Good VLB Video card Recommendation

4. help with printk

5. VLB EIDE card recommendations

6. HELP with "install-bindist.sh" on dg-ux AViiON

7. VLB IDE contr, VLB ET4000 and network on parrallel port

8. QTalk 0.01

9. Linux and IBM PS/2s

10. FreeBSD & MCA arch. IBM PS/2s

11. VLB IDE controller cards?

12. VLB IDE cards

13. Will Linux support the IDE/SCSI VLB combination card?